Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: Fantastic 50

FYI: Only 50 of 8,000 funds passed all of Russ's tests.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=712248

Comments

• Limiting his screen to funds that have M* analyst ratings of bronze or higher eliminates many great funds that do not have an analyst rating and which have better records than the funds that made his list. For this reason alone, I did not bother to read the full article.
  • correct BobC, I also see a great fund I own not covered by Morningstar analyst. That's good.
  • I noticed a real heavy slant towards the big fund companies, such as Fidelity, Vanguard and American Funds. I wonder how much advertising they do with *M.
  • I like his argument, in the follow-on article, for why Fidelity Capital Appreciation (FDCAX) is no longer a Fanny Fifty Fund: it has been doing too well. There's an incentive fee built into the fund's price structure; if performance sucks, the e.r. drops. If performance soars, the e.r. rises.

Here's the reason for dropping the fund: " In 2013, the fund outpaced that index by 2.47 percentage points, upping the expense ratio by 4 basis points to 0.81%. This increase moved the fund's expenses beyond the category's cheapest quintile..."

David
  • Sir. You are being funny, right?
  • The Formerly Fantastic Fifty Funds Now Miss the Mark. I really do try not to be grouchy, but sometimes people are so wedded to their blinders ...