Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: 5 Things Investors Shouldn't Do Now

FYI: Stocks slumped worldwide this week, with U.S. and European markets off more than 5% and the Shanghai Composite Index losing more than 11%. Oil prices also skidded, dropping more than 6%. Traders feared that slowing growth in China, the devaluation of the Chinese currency and the overhang of too much debt could stifle global economic recovery. Here are five things you should know about how not to react.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/08/21/5-things-investors-shouldnt-do-now/

Comments

• Don't panic
    Don't be complacent

Does this mean do nothing? I don't think so. If you do nothing, then you only doom yourself to either becoming complacent or panicking in future.

You do something. I did. Sold a bit here, there, and everywhere. Now I'm not complacent, and I'm not panicking. I also think I'm sleeping.
  • I did something. I took the opportunity to buy some mutual funds to capture the end of Friday's close. I bought a couple domestic micro cap funds (I figured if China's economy contributed to the market decline, it might be better to go smaller cap, since those companies are less likely to export and might be less influenced by a Chinese or global recession…plus I have been wanting to get into micro caps so it seemed like a good time to do it). I also bought a small amount of the S&P 500 index fund in my 401K. Yes, the market could go down more, but if you are ever going to buy, buy as the market goes down as it did to get a cheaper price, just don't swing for the fences. I keep lot in my stable value fund to take advantage of dips, so if the market continues to go down, I will buy a little more. I have about a 15 year time horizon. The only potential concern for my overall portfolio is that I am likely overweight in tech and healthcare.
  • I am watching Monday - all the worried people dumping stuff. If it happens, well, I have a short list that I didn't buy 2009. I am 75...must be nuts.
    best, hawk, the incorrigible...uh...so-called investor.
  • I am watching Monday - all the worried people dumping stuff. If it happens, well, I have a short list that I didn't buy 2009. I am 75...must be nuts.
    best, hawk, the incorrigible...uh...so-called investor.

You are not nuts, you are happy:)
  • I'm with you Hawk, but at 76! What the hell... why not?