Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is it time to cut and run ... or, a time to do a little buying?

edited August 2015 in Fund Discussions
Hi all,

It depends.

For some ... It might be a time to cut and run if they are leveraged or at the high range for equities within their asset allocation.

However, for me as mostly a long term investor who trades a little from time-to-time ...

I got my watch list out and most likely will open a spiff position in the S&P 500 Index somewhere around the 2030 range should the Index pull back to this mark and then average in from there based upon its price movement and/or a time line up to and into fall. In addition, I got a few funds that I’d like to add to which are in the growth area of my portfolio. Since, I have ample cash currently held within my portfolio (about 20%) I am not looking to lighten up in my equities at this valuation (2050) range. I consider a five to ten percent pull back in the Index as a buying opportunity as long as I stay within the mid range (45% to 55%) exposure to equities within my asset allocation (low allocation being 40% and high allocation being 60%). Simply stated, it is not the time to go all in, for me; but, it just might be a good time to do a little nibbling to round up a few positions and to open my traditional fall spiff, a little early.

Based upon my last Instant Xray analysis (07/31/2015) my portfolio bubbled (net) at about 20% cash, 20% bonds, 50% equity and 10% other.

What's your thoughts on the current market movement? And, what might you be doing, if anything?

Comments