Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

China/Asia rout

edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Hello, everyone. When does this carnage become an "opportunity," again? Ugh. M* premium
X-Ray says I hold 22% in foreign equities, but lower-down on the same page, it tells me I have 26.5% in Asia. Acccchhh. My main Asia holding is PRASX. I'm hanging on, trusting Ahn Lu. That one is 14% of total. But is THAT number "true?" Aaaaarrrggghhh!

Comments

• "That one is 14% of total. But is THAT number "true?" Aaaaarrrggghhh!"

Hi Crash,
    Just take the dollar value of that one fund and divide it by the total dollar value of your entire portfolio.......[then multiply by 100 to get % weighting of the fund]

That will tell you if that number is "true"

If you use Microsoft Excel, you can fairly quickly determine the % weighting of each fund you own.....divide each one by the total portfolio value [then multiply by 100 to get %]

Cheers
  • rjb122 is correct. That will give you the number you are looking for.

As far as Asia goes, this is not over yet. Japan's economy is showing signs of slowing. If two of the three top economies of the world are in trouble, then I'll let you guess on the rest of that

• ouch. Yes, I checked, and PRASX is 13.88% of my total. At this moment, I can't see myself "jumping ship." I stayed fully invested and even added regularly to the portfolio during the '08-'09 Financial Crash--- for which NOBODY has yet gone to jail. Guess I've got a tiger by the tail. Asian Tiger, pun intended. In 2 years or 5 years, could this still be going on, or will we all have moved on by then.....? Is it time for another sort of Bretton Woods agreement with the currencies? I suppose the other countries would not cotton to it. Nor is the USA in any sort of position to be bargaining. So much public debt!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods_system
  • I'm hanging on, trusting Ahn Lu.
    Crash, I would say trusting the fund manager has little to do a falling Asian market. There is nothing that manager can do.

Problem with a country or area specific fund is the manager has no leverage. A distributed EM fund like SFGIX for instance can adjust it's % weighting out of down-trending areas and into something else. Ahn Lu can not. To that point, I believe I recently read that Andrew Foster recently reduced his Asian holding by 8%. Lu can't do that.

Guess I don't see the use of a country/area fund in a buy and hold portfolio. Maybe, just a maybe, as a momentum buy, but even that is more risk then gain IMO. I'd stick with a diversified EM manager.

I've heard this talk that Asia is the future. A lot of it a few years back on this board. But when, 5 years, 10 years, our life times? I don't buy it. I'll leave it to a good manager to decide.
  • edited August 2015
    You are making too much sense! There are a couple of TRP funds I've been wanting to own: TRGRX Global RE and PRDSX, a domestic quant small-capper. I need to chew on such a move at least overnight. This China currency thing has turned things pretty much cattywampus. Ugh! Sucks! PRASX is down ytd -4.85% and for 1 year, -10.19%.
  • I bit the bullet and did the thing. I eliminated TRAMX and moved that money into PRDSX.
    I left only a bit in PRASX and split those proceeds between PRWCX and TRGRX. I don't like change. It had to be done, though.