Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"F" for Ford

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=F
Dad was always a Chevy guy. Until he bought and pampered that LTD. Share price is down. Worth throwing money at?

Comments

• Well, it was at $1.87 a few years back. Missed it:( But as someone said, lost opportunity is better than lost money...
  • No interest.
  • @Crash
    One may suppose "throwing money at an investment may be a reason"; but do you have a valid reason to invest in Ford stock?
    Today's closing price is -13% below 52 week high.
    I wouldn't be moved to purchase this as a single stock choice at today's price.
  • This forum is full of smart investors. I trust it. From time to time, I go looking for something that seems promising. (But M* commentaries are an illustration in living "La Vie En Rose"--- through rose-colored glasses.) If a prospect were to be confirmed here by way of the responses offered, I'd have an excuse to invest in it. Another I saw lately is Itau Unibanco ADRs........
  • edited August 2015
    I've always admired the styling of GM's products. Hands-down the best. (Rented a beautiful Impala in Arizona couple years ago and still salivate when I see one.) But over the past 3 decades, I'll side with Ford for reliability, quality, and value for price paid.

The industry is far too complex for us mere mortals to accurately predict. Very dependent on economic cycles, consumer trends, exchange rates, price of fuel, and government policies (emissions, fuel economy, safety, etc.).

In addition, "unknowns" can come out of nowhere and wreak havoc with profit margins. Consider GM pickups' exploding fuel tanks, Ford's Firestone tires catastrophe, and Toyota's "unintended acceleration" issue. All of these problems lingered for years.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I appreciate the thoughts. I'm just looking back in very late on Sunday, now.