Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chart Of The Day: Gold Prices 2000-Present

Comments

• edited July 2015
    If the chart included the the late 70s and the 80s and 90s, it's a totally different picture. One thing I learned as a futures broker in the 70s is never buy commodities, not even as a hedge. I can't tell you how many end of the world fanatics I have encountered over the past 40 years that have a huge portion of their net worth in gold/silver bullion/coins. Had that been in equities instead, they would be vastly richer by an untold amount.
  • There is a wealthy radio talk show host who has a 3-hour show, broadcast here in the AM. The few times that I have accidentally tuned to that radio channel while in my car, there is ALWAYS a commercial that touts why gold is a great investment for "the terrible times that lie ahead of us." We have a couple of clients who think this entertainer is next to God and who have bought gold bars. I always ask them, "How are you going to convert gold into some kind of currency/cash/whatever when the time comes? Who is going to take it? Are you going to saw off little pieces from the bars? " When I tell them they might not be able to get into their safe deposit box when "the time comes", that means they have to buy a home safe, then another issue arises.
  • I wonder what rono thinks about where gold is headed.