Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Artisan Developing World - Lewis Kaufman's Fund

Comments

• @joJo26: Suggest you direct your question to Old-Skeet who is attempting to get in the Guiness Book of World Records by owning the largest collection of mutual fund sleeves in the history of mankind.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.youtube.com/user/GuinnessWorldRecords
  • Hahaha! So true, so so true!
  • Kaufman had great success at Thornburg. If he is able to use the same strategy, which was fairly unique in determining what 'emerging market stocks' meant, he could duplicate his success at Artisan. His departure from Thornburg is still puzzling to me, but most likely another case of "follow the money".
  • edited June 2015
    I'm really interested in it, but a personal rule I follow 99% of the time is to wait for at least the first report before investing in a new fund. I'm not sure yet that it's guaranteed to be the same fund, and I really didn't consider it, in its old incarnation, to be so perfect that I'd slam-dunk all my EM chips on it anyway. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?!)
  • @MFO Members: The Linkster's general rule wait three years. That's called winner, winner not quite a chicken dinner.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I would wait to see a portfolio and preferably a M* portfolio x-ray. There will likely be differences in the research and support capabilities moving from Thornburg to Artisan, so I would not be an early buyer. In the EM equity space, I continue to like SFGIX/SIGIX, and among ETFs, I would take a look at SCHE and EEMV.

Kevin
  • Couple of questions

First, Artisan has an Emerging Markets fund that has sucked up the place. Now, I'm a big Artisan fan but even I never owned this fund. We need to accept that however good a manager/company is, they just may not be able to replicate that magic in all areas. I like to keep reminding people of Oakmark giving up on their "small cap" fund. So what is the reason for buying developing world which should also be investing in emerging markets?

Second, a lot of Thornburg funds seem to have made their reputation only in good markets. This manager of "developing world" - does anyone have any data that shows he REALLY is a good manager?
  • Kaufman's only fund management experience from what I can find on M* has only been the Thornburg Developing World fund starting in December 2009, so to @VintageFreak 's point we don't know much about how he'll do in a "real" down market. The downside capture ratio for THDIX over the last 5 years is only 81%. so at least he did well when the market was down without having a bear market.
  • There are a lot of "boutique" shops whose managers made their name in good markets. Janus was the main mistake. I've just stayed away from the Thornburgs, Brandywines, RS, what not. I think TRP Emerging Value fund might be a safer new fund bet in this space.
  • It's kind of lame (and a bit shady) that the institutional shares have a lower fee reimbursement than the other share classes.
  • It's a team of three, not one...
  • @JoJo26
    And the two individuals on the management team, in addition to Kaufman, would be ......?
  • Don't worry about it. You'll know soon enough. He does have a dedicated team, though.