Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Opinion Poll On Greece

edited July 2015 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I agree on the US economy- C but I tend to believe it will have a moderate impact on My portfolio- B.

The reason is that I think the Euro with Greece will be different than the Euro without Greece, so whatever way they go will have an impact on the portion of my portfolio invested in Europe, if only from the perspective of how it translates into USD.

Thanks for the post. Good idea!
  • @Maurice: C. C. Amen !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2015
    Si, si, señor.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agree with C/C, however, if the can gets kicked and comes up yet again after 1 year, we'll see this volatility repeated for a short while.
  • C/C. In terms of the US I'm more concerned with Puerto Rico and some of the states and may make a bet on that shortly.
  • Hi @Maurice, I think if Greece exits the Euro the impact will be negative because a good portion of my European exposure is hedged and I think the Euro would be stronger. I also suspect the European stock markets won't do as well if Greece leaves. If they stay, which is what I think will happen, then it probably helps me. The Euro will be weaker and it's possible there may need to be additional stimulus from the ECB.
  • C,C. Likely added volatity in Europe in the short term.
  • edited July 2015
    Whats a 3% change in the value of my portfolio? Is that little or nothing or moderate?
  • edited July 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • C if Portugal, Italy, Ireland and Spain don't follow suit. A if any of them do. That is what everyone is really worried about, not Greece itself, but the precedent it sets.
  • @LewisBraham Just my opinion, but I'm not thinking that any of those other countries will follow suit prompted by the Greek situation at this time, for a whole bunch of reasons, of which I'm sure you're aware.

Note: If that isn't a run-on sentence I give up. It's certainly an awkward construction, but I'm too lazy to fix it.
  • edited July 2015
    @OldJoe I agree it seems unlikely, but I am sure these other nations are watching these negotiations with Greece like a hawk. It's a test case for how much they can push back against Germany and the other members if they don't like the terms of their debt. But I agree with you. I also think ultimately the problems with Greece will be resolved, even if they do default. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinkmanship
  • edited July 2015
    I'm going to go with 2 B's.

I think that while Greece will be resolved, different countries will be looking down that same glide path, most notably Spain and Italy. While the problems are not as immediately severe, the possible ramifications would be much greater. The market is getting creaky. But, then again, so am I.