Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Message From FundAlarm's Roy Weitz

Roy ask me to paas this along.
Regards,
Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes, I'm around and reasonably well, and it's good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you. I think I got burned out on mutual funds, since I basically haven't looked at a mutual fund board (David's included) since the end of FundAlarm. I still invest in funds, but when I have the chance i pretty much go for plain vanilla indexing.

I remember the FundAlarm days fondly (how did we find the time and energy?), and especially your terrific work and support. If David has you on his side now, he's very fortunate. If you're in touch with any of the old gang, please say hello for me.

Very best regards,

Roy

Comments

• Hello, Roy! I want to tell you how much FA shaped my scope of the investing world. I came over from Brill in the early days. I soon found that FA was, and remains, an experience of learning and appreciating the wisdom of others who understand much more than I. Your time and energy were invaluable and I hope you know there are people who have expressed that many times. We had people who a) had a sense of humor and humility, b) could combine pride and frustration in their efforts, and c) unfortunately have disappeared over the horizon.
    I am happy you are not case (c). Please take care.
    best, hawk
  • Hi Ted,

Please extend my very best wishes to Roy and his family.

I had never posted on any internet board prior to doing so on Fund Alarm. It was Roy's honesty and integrity that encouraged me to participate actively. He never failed us in his trustworthiness and his fairness.

David has done a remarkable job at continuing the March, but I do miss Roy.

Thank you for his note.

Best Regards.
  • Wow, that's a breath of fresh air. Great to hear Roy is doing well. Thanks for passing along the info.
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for sharing that, Ted. Good to hear that Roy is still with us and doing well.
  • He's amazing. I used to try to trick, wheedle, cajole or bamboozle Roy into writing a word or two about life, life after FundAlarm, life at FundAlarm, the silliest thing the industry's done or why California wines rule. No luck.

(sigh)

David
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks @Ted
    I owe a debt of gratitude to Roy and it is great to hear he is well. Please send a hello and well wishes back his way.
  • Roy, how great to hear from you. Thanks for making MFO possible, and for insisting that board posters be civil to each other. That made a huge difference between FA and other investment sites. Best to you.
  • Lovely to hear from Roy Weitz. Thank you, Ted, for the pass-along.
  • Roy,
    Man do I miss you and your old forum and the frequent visitors like Rono, which I was drawn to because you provided a method/analysis, for investors to dump poorly performing mutual funds. At the time, the internet was full of advice on what to buy, but not what to sell or when to sell a badly performing mutual fund. Investing was simple then, the 1990's and into early 2000's. Thanks so much for your 3-alarm advice, your website, and definitely your humorous columns on the junk stuff out there. After many years of investing and having felt some pain during the tech run, I am just a boring buy and hold indexer, and have not much to say about this board.
    birdsgears, anders, anderson