Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is Indexing Going To Eat The Financial Markets?

FYI: Indexing is the new stock picking. It is, by far, the most efficient way to obtain a low cost and diversified portfolio. So it makes sense that index funds are gobbling up the financial markets. But this has some people concerned – what will happen when indexing gets so large that it becomes “the market”? Will prices become less efficient? Will the market become a homogenous basket of single prices?
Regards,
Ted
http://www.pragcap.com/is-indexing-going-to-eat-the-financial-markets

Comments

• Dumb article. Indexing is not active. If you invest in an index fund then you get the return of that index (less small fees). There is nothing active about this. To be active there has to be some potential to outperform the index. My merely investing in an index fund, there is no such possibility.
  • Maybe, maybe not. I'm choosing equal weight index funds and VMVFX for my future investments. I suspect I'll be reasonably satisfied in 20 years.
  • I think the author makes a good point. The act of managing an index means there will always be market makers buying and selling the underlying securities. The fact that there are index funds means that this "activity" isn't going away. So, there is an active element to any index fund. It's just that most retail investors don't see how active the actual management of an index is because it's all happening behind the scenes at the market making level.