Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ASHDX - AllianzGI Short Duration High Income

Does anyone own or have experience/knowledge about this fund? I noticed it pops up with very good numbers on the MFO Risk Profile and it seems to be fairly similar to OSTIX. It doesn't have a very long history, however. What part would this fund play in a portfolio?

Comments

• I purchased a similar fund, ASDVX as a part of my fixed income side. The short duration would mean less volatility during rising interest rates. I have noticed this during volatile days in the market up or down as my other bond funds had more fluctuation than this one. I am assuming ASHDX is unconstrained?
  • I was reading the fund "Fact Sheet" tonight and it says it invests primarily in higher-quality high-yield bonds and maintains a duration of less than three years. So, it doesn't sound unconstrained based on that. Currently, the duration is about 1.49 years as of March 31.
  • Take a look at HYS. Duration 1.91 years. 4.54% distribution yield.
  • I've had a moderate position in ASHDX since early this year; so far, so good. Short-term, higher-quality junk is the game, decent yield with lower volatility & credit risk (than other HY) is the expectation. Haven't followed OSTIX lately, but in the past it's been invested in lower-rated bonds.
  • AndyJ said:

I've had a moderate position in ASHDX since early this year; so far, so good. Short-term, higher-quality junk is the game, decent yield with lower volatility & credit risk (than other HY) is the expectation. Haven't followed OSTIX lately, but in the past it's been invested in lower-rated bonds.

May I ask what you use it for and where? Taxable or tax-deferred account?
  • edited May 2015
    Taxable account. What I use it for is basically the expectation I mentioned. I keep a range of credit-risky FI in what I think of as a separate sleeve in the portfolio, and ASHDX is a lower duration/higher quality (and therefore presumably less risky) piece of that sleeve. In the past I've used other funds (e.g., OSTIX, RSIVX) to fill the short & junky role.
  • AndyJ said:

Taxable account. What I use it for is basically the expectation I mentioned. I keep a range of credit-risky FI in what I think of as a separate sleeve in the portfolio, and ASHDX is a lower duration/higher quality (and therefore presumably less risky) piece of that sleeve. In the past I've used other funds (e.g., OSTIX, RSIVX) to fill the short & junky role.

I was just checking their respective holdings on *M and you are right: OSTIX holds a bit more lower-rated junk bonds than ASDHX. At last check, OSTIX had about 37% of its portfolio rated below B, whereas ASDHX had about 8% rated below B.