Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: Say ‘Yes’ To Funds That Know When To Say ‘No’

TedTed
edited April 2015 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Mutual-fund managers like to say that investors pay them to make “the tough decisions.” But one of the toughest decisions a fund manager can make is the one most of them never take: to turn away more money.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/04/24/funds-when-closing-time-doesnt-come-soon-enough/tab/print/

Comments

• Any thoughts on the funds mentioned, VVPLX and VVPSX. Schwab shows VVPSX already closed to new investors.
  • edited April 2015
    The article should add...."close funds and then NOT start new ones". One of the reasons I quit Wasatch is because they didn't know when to stop? Then they gave birth to Grandeur Peak and IT does not know when to stop.

I own one Wasatch Fund and one Grandeur Peak fund and I'm done.

Here's another idea. Find funds that don't spend too much of their time and YOUR money marketing. They are unlikely to gather too many assets and have bloat issues. And you know your manager is even more sincere if you don't pay 12b1- fees.
  • I Own LKBAX & MAPOX - They Do No Advertising And Have No 12b1-Fees