Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clements: You May Need Less Money Than You Think For Retirement

FYI: Conventional wisdom says you need retirement income equal to 80% of your final salary. But there is a decent chance you could happily retire with far less.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.wsj.com/articles/you-may-need-less-money-than-you-think-for-retirement-1428701496

Comments

• edited April 2015
    "To read full story subscribe or log-in" Duh?

No problem Ted. I find Clements generally worthless anyway.

However, any time you see the word "may" in the byline, be suspicious. You may need less. But, you may also need more.:)
  • "any time you see the word "may" in the byline, be suspicious"

Amen, bro.
  • Free is very good! My WSJ subscription has lapsed. But not my Barron's.
  • "...Instead, we save what we can and then make do...." Yup. For once, an article that addresses ordinary folks.
  • A couple of peanut gallery comments (older definition of PG): One might be equally suspicious of any prognostication lacking the adverb ("may"), considering the accuracy of such headlines. He probably could have skated with "why you might not..."

Secondly, The ordinary folks around whom I grew up aren't represented on MFO. On contemplation, I must admit that that is what they did ("make do"), from lack of other options. OTOH, my parents were quite surprised when they inherited stock from my mousy maiden aunt who served for years as a telephone operator for Ma Bell, until she was automated into a nursing home aide. Of course, they have no idea what to do with the stock.
  • edited April 2015
    STB65 said:

One might be equally suspicious of any prognostication lacking the adverb ("may"), considering the accuracy of such headlines. He probably could have skated with "why you might not..."

As you like it.:)
    http://www.moneymanifesto.com/you-may-need-more-than-four-million-dollars-to-retire-no-joke-7587/
  • It only makes sense to me that "they" would want the people in the savings stage to tithe more and those in the spending stage to fast more.
  • You SHOULD always spend less Money in retirement than when you were Working, having a mountain of bills/payments, were raising a family and having the
    "Good Times'...
    What are you going to spend money on Now? Any Ideas
  • edited April 2015
    Tb, AMAZON!!!! that's what.
  • Airline tickets and hotels. Travel.
  • I spent $62 on Amazon a few weeks ago, probably done for another 3-6 months
  • edited April 2015
    Ditto JohnC. Exactly!

(edit) Let's add first-class seating in flight. Than a decent rental car at destination with leather, rag-top and some guts under the hood. Wonderful way to burn through retirement savings.:)
  • Article not available to me, but based upon a lot of intense recent research and direct observation I can tell you that the "big if" is whether or not you will require an extended stay in a nursing home. (Think "dementia", in particular.) Last year I spent lots of time checking out facilities and doing the math with a close relative whose spouse had reached the point where she could not reasonably continue to keep him at home. 1.) These places are very, very expensive -- at least the ones you would want to have a relative staying in. 2.) New ones are springing up everywhere, some stand-alone, others associated with upscale "retirement communities", -- virtually all are for-profit enterprises. The investors building these facilities are not stupid, they see the numbers: more people living longer = more people with dementia etc. And with excellent care, you can live a long time with dementia. ( Not to mention that the rates of long-term care insurance are currently poised to skyrocket off the map.)

Having been through all the financial scenarios, I can only conclude that if you are in modestly comfortable (but hardly "rich") circumstances, you can live a good life in retirement and leave something to your heirs -- as long as you (and your immediate dependent(s)) avoid long-term disability. And that is the big crap-shoot.

• Well what would you like to do about it? I think the saying is Cross that bridge IF you come to it....What % of people have Dementia? Just figuring...