Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Interesting Company That You Cannot Invest In

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2015
    Afraid I can't answer your very good questions Maurice. Maybe somebody else can explain the relevance of "Ltd." to IRS filings or whether the company you mention would be a good investment.

I'd consider the whole drone thing as just an extension of the broader area of technological innovation - where fortunes are made and lost very quickly (think 8-track tapes, VHS recorders and pocket calculators). So, you're investing in the talent, management, patents and research capabilities of any given company - not so much the product. That said, the entire transportation world is moving toward autonomous operation which drones represent (Umm ... it's difficult to think of bomb delivery as "transportation"). Musk will have a self-steering car on the market in a few months - and the automation will only get better with time. There's serious proposals now to take pilots out of passenger jets and fly them remotely from the ground. Won't happen soon - but in 50 years I'd expect that.

Bezos now has FAA permission to begin testing drones. He's heavy into technology. Early with e-readers that still dominate that market. Amazon operates a huge commercial cloud storage operation - used by many government agencies. He also recently received government approval to begin testing space rockets that will carry cargo and passengers. A lot of his projects have failed of course. Guess he just hopes to hit a few home runs.

Here's an article on his drone operation. At $1 per delivery one can imagine what that will do to UPS and FedX operations. They won't go away, but will require substantially fewer employees. (Last I heard, drones aren't very fussy about what they eat.)

Article on Amazon drones http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/amazon-drones-could-deliver-packages-for-just-1-study-suggests

Article on Bezo's rocket program http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/07/us-space-blueorigin-idUSKBN0MY1UK20150407
  • Ltd is akin to LLC.