Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pepsi Knocks Diet Coke From Number 2 Spot

edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    1. I drink way too much Diet Coke. I don't know how anyone can drink Diet Pepsi. Vile swill. I drink enough Diet Coke to have an opinion about which container (cans, small cans, bottles, small bottles, etc) tastes better. I have occasionally been known to swirl a bottle of Diet Coke and remark that, "This bottle is a good year." In all seriousness, it is rather remarkable how inconsistent Diet Coke is.

2. Coke offers Vitamin Water (which I believe is effectively a "sister" product of Smart Water, that either came with Glaceau when Coke bought that or was developed after.) Vitamin Water Zero is actually very good. Vitamin Water the regular product has an unbelievable s-ton of sugar in it. So the "Vitamin" product also has an insane amount of sugar.

3. I rarely get bottled water unless I'm out and it sounds appealing at the moment. I once remarked after buying Smart Water, "If this is Smart Water, why do I feel stupid after buying it?"

• When New Coke came out, I claimed I could tell the difference between New Coke, Coke Classic, and Coke Classic with sugar (as opposed to corn syrup). People I worked with tested that, by giving me unlabeled samples of each. (I'd imported the "real thing" from the UK at the time.)

They wanted me to try all three before identifying, but after trying the first, my immediate reaction was: blech, New Coke. Don't think colas taste much different, think again. Some of us are connoisseurs who can tell the clean, clear taste of sugar from the cloying, heavy taste of corn syrup, let alone one brand from another.

So when Yahoo writes that full sugar Coke still leads, are they talking about Coke ex-US? The WSJ had it better - full caloried "Coke is it".

Scott - you are absolutely right about Diet Pepsi. IMHO the sad thing about Diet Coke is that they got the formula just right for saccharin - managing to hide its bitter aftertaste. Diet Coke's switch to aspartame pleased many but it somehow didn't take as good. (And aspartame was reputed to give many headaches in the literal sense.)

You're not the only one feeling stupid about buying water:
    http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/bottled-water-tap-water-difference-21202028
  • The following (cut and paste from a recent slide) might give you pause before buying the next six-pack of diet anything.

Israeli study of mice and men
    Mice (germ-free) given non-caloric sweeteners develop glucose intolerance
    Their gut microbiome is altered to enhance absorption of calorie-rich glucose and short-chain fatty acids
    Antibiotics cure them (kill bacteria)
    Transplanting their feces to germ-free mice causes glucose intolerance
    Seven healthy men placed on non-caloric sweeteners; 4 developed glucose intolerance in a week
    Transplanting their stool (into mice – I know what you were thinking) caused glucose intolerance
    The obesity epidemic is all due to TabR (maybe it was Diet-RiteR)
  • It might be a case of intra-brand cannibalization with Coke Zero taking sales from Diet Coke - the wife prefers it.
  • I stopped drinking colas when I started using them more for getting rust off chrome bumpers (yeah I know I am dating myself) and for cleaning toilets. I figured if it could do that, what was it doing to my insides?
  • edited March 2015
    Was thrilled when Coke announced they were going to do a Stevia-sweetened version. The result: some stevia, still lotta sugar.

Stevia is easily grown (I found the plants for sale at Home Depot of all places) and took off like a rocket with minimal maintenance. Your mileage may vary, but I was stunned at how well they did. I actually think the leaves are delicious, a very pure, clean tasting sweetness. Sweet, but not aggressively so. I'll admit that I never really figured out that much to do with them (Tea, primarily), but they tasted great. Instead of rock candy, it was like leaf candy.

Starbucks refreshers (can version) were great for a while because they were Stevia-only. Then they did away with those and replaced them with half stevia/half sugar.

• I have twice as much KO stock as I do PEP, so guess which is doing the best?......
    you guessed it......but I'll keep both...I like money and both companies
  • scott said:

Was thrilled when Coke announced they were going to do a Stevia-sweetened version. The result: some stevia, still lotta sugar.

The problem the soft drink makers have run into with stevia is that the more they use in a drink, the more it imparts a licorice undertone and aftertaste that many find objectionable.
  • Don't drink soda. Nothing better than water. Add a little slice of lemon or orange once in a while. My weak point is coffee:-)
  • edited March 2015
    MrRuffles said:

scott said:

The problem the soft drink makers have run into with stevia is that the more they use in a drink, the more it imparts a licorice undertone and aftertaste that many find objectionable.
    Starbucks actually managed to mask it with the Refreshers drinks (at least the first generation of them where Stevia was the only sweetener.) However, Zevia (which you can find at Whole Foods) soda doesn't and it's ... not very good.

Again though, not processed leaves are a treat.

The whole thing is part of the reason why I remain invested in International Flavors and Fragrances (IFF), the continued attempts to make things taste salty without using so much salt and sweet without using so much sugar.
  • Our family don't consume much of sugar-based soda for a variety of health related reasons stated here. Instead we drink water came from our reverse osmosis filter unit that was installed awhile back. The only consumables are the filters and the cost of servicing from a local company. Overall we believe it is better to kick the soda habit and less wasteful with all that bottled water.
  • Personal Health and investing Decisions are two different animals, and over-lap can be expensive thinking..
    Water AND Soft/bottled drinks will be here till the end of time.....think of a way to make money investing in that FACT