Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Many Mutual Funds Routinely Rout the Market? Zero

FYI: The bull market in stocks turned six last Monday, and despite some rocky stretches — like last week, when the market fell — it has generally been a very pleasant time for money managers, who have often posted good numbers.

Look more closely at those gaudy returns, however, and you may see something startling. The truth is that very few professional investors have actually managed to outperform the rising market consistently over those years.

In fact, based on the updated findings and definitions of a particular study, it appears that no mutual fund managers have
Regards,
Ted
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/your-money/how-many-mutual-funds-routinely-rout-the-market-zero.html?_r=0

Comments

• Hog wash...If you define "stock Market" as total market indexes
    Using last 5 year figures always on my portfolio (easiest to get) I have 6 managed funds/ETF that beat "the market"... that's 6 out of 11 holdings/others are 8%ers
    Of course its a NY Times article...so that explains a lot...
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Ted. I glanced at that in the NY Times whose headline stories I receive daily on Kindle.

I've never had a lot of confidence in their financial reporting - though same goes for many other publications. What struck me is they seem to be basing these conclusions on the period immediately following the 08-09 market meltdown. I do recall that during the "roaring 90s" index investing became very popular and the S&P 500 was greatly run up. It than suffered and lagged for several years following that hot stretch. So, I'd expect a rebound following the 08-09 market wash-out. This probably helps account for the great run it's had in recent years.

None of this is intended to dispute the advantages of holding index funds for the very long haul. I'd agree on that. But to draw conclusions on just a 6-year stretch strikes me as a lot of journalistic hoopla.

• I've set up some "perfcharts" at Stockcharts.com to compare my carefully chosen funds against SPY, RUT, and MSCI. Those indexes have been soaring away from my funds during the last five and two-year periods.

Hopefully, my funds' defensive characteristics during bear markets will make up the difference in the long run. But it's frightening! I'll probably add some index funds to balance out my portfolio.

[I love the N Y Times. Don't kill the messenger.]
  • Hank....EXAXCTLY...thats what makes these type articles Silly and meaningless (which the NYT is famous for) I could write an article on the next page of the paper on the same day that headlined
    "60% of (my) managed funds beat the stock market index the last 5 years"
    ...so draw your own conclusion....
    The conclusion is that the information is meaningless..
  • edited March 2015
    @Lawlar and TPA

No, don't kill the messenger. As Flack recently pointed out, most of us here have a better grasp of the financial issues than the journalists who get paid to crank out something "fresh" every 24 hours. Also, read a variety of sources. Don't rely on NYT or anyone else for all your news.
  • "Don't rely on NYT or anyone else for all your news." Amen, brother!
  • Wonderful article! It never bothers to tell us what it means by "the market", however only 2 funds finished in the top quartile of whatever it is for five straight years, less than randomness would produce. This is said to show that you should buy index funds. However, I can guarantee you that no index funds finished in the top quartile of whatever it is for five straight years, either. Index funds aren't designed to do that. They're designed to beat something like 55% or 60% of funds year after year after year with their advantage accumulating as time goes by. So what is it supposed to prove when you show that active funds don't finish in the top quartile all the time?

The above is not to say that I have anything against indexing a stock portfolio. I would say that this is exactly the kind of article that I would expect from the New York Times.
  • Hi Guys,

Be careful here; be very careful indeed.

Trustworthy statistical sets don’t lie when based on honestly representative surveys. Their interpretations are an entirely different matter. In those interpretations, definitions matter greatly. A misinterpretation might not be dishonest; it might simply be a conflated reading of the stats.

Based on my quick reading of the referenced article, and an even quicker reading of your comments, I suspect MFO posters are conflating the S&P data that is the primary source for the article.

The article quotes data from the S&P Persistency scorecard that measures mutual fund performance persistency. That specific data records consistency of returns, not absolute total returns over any integrated multiple periods.

The author focuses attention on the top 25% of funds over the initial baseline year, and than reports only on their persistency in remaining in that top quartile for each of the next four years. They mostly fail to do so.

But that observation says nothing about the cumulative returns of these funds in the entire reporting period. A baseball player who hits in excess of .300 for 4 of any 5 seasons, but has a sub-par .299 in one of those seasons would also fail the S&P Persistency test. I would still trust that .300 hitter in any circumstances and would want him on my team (portfolio).

Properly assembled, statistics don’t lie. However, some writers do purposely lie using statistics to boost a flawed position. Many more writers misuse stats because of statistical innumeracy. And readers add to the chaos by misreading and/or misinterpreting the quoted statistics. User be very careful indeed.

The referenced piece tells more about the fund manager skill/luck debate than about the more important Excess Returns delivery over time.

Best Regards.
  • Correct MJG. I believe comprehension of the referenced article fell off the cliff probably right at the end of the 2nd paragraph. Persistency was the key word but who's keeping track.
  • Continue with baseball analogy....you think it is harder to find .300 hitters than .240 hitters...then Why do managers/owners spend so much Time/money to sign .300 hitters(managed funds), why don't they just sign all.240 hitters(an index) much easier/cheaper
    MAYBE its because they Want to WIN?....you draw your conclusion
  • I don't understand. You repeatedly claim that here in the US ANYONE who wants to be a ".300 hitter" can be... all they have to do is "work at it". Baseball is the only exception, right?
  • Hi Tampabay,

Let's not carry the baseball analogy too far; analogies are imperfect.

But, extending the baseball analogy just a little further, staffing a ball club with high priced hitting stars does not guarantee winning. It likely improves the odds without guarantees since baseball, like investing, is a mix of both skill and luck elements. It includes both offense (hitting) and defense (fielding) components. The teams with the highest payrolls don't always win the championship.

Also, an extravagant payroll doesn't impact a ball clubs won-lost record. A high payroll mutual fund portfolio directly subtracts from net returns. Cost matters here, and here is where the analogy fails.

My post really is not centered on the validity of the analogy. I wanted to caution MFOers against a misinterpretation of the referenced article. The initial posts were falling victim to a misreading.

Best Wishes.
  • is a mix of both skill and luck elements. It includes both offense (hitting) and defense (fielding......TED

Everytime I see/read the work "luck" when talking about successful people, my bp hits the roof....
    Do you understand "Luck" means Doing NOTHING, something just falls in your lap...Good Baseball players Good Investors, Good business people ect ect are NOT lucky they developed skills that made them successful....
    Relying on "luck" got you in the (mental) position your in now, Skills will get you in a position you Want to be in......try it.... quit waiting for "luck" to help you...It Won't
    Life lesson # (what ever you want it to be)
  • edited March 2015
    Sure thing, tb. Luck has nothing to do with being naturally inclined towards athletic skills. The body type you were born with has absolutely nothing to do with success or opportunity. The world is just full of 5 foot tall professional basketball players, and 120lb slightly built fullbacks, famous actors who are deaf-mutes, and engineers with no aptitude for math. The physical and mental capabilities and limitations that you are born with mean absolutely nothing. All that counts is "developing skills". Sure thing, tb.
  • beebee
    edited March 2015
    Over the last 20 years Health Care funds have shellac the overall market in both to the upside on gains as well to the downside on losses. Here's VGHCX (Health Care) vs VTSMX (the Market) over the last 20 years. Will this continue?

• HibTampabay,

The primary focus of the article was about performance persistency. That's why the S&P Persistency scorecard was the referenced document.

Again back to the baseball analogy, the issue is if a .300 hitter in year One is likely to repeat his success in subsequent years. That's a tough task for most hitters and results in overpaid ball players.

The Persistency scorecard tells the same challenging story for fund managers. Persistency is an illusive goal for most of them with a very few rare exceptions. You don't often get what you pay for in the active fund investment universe as constantly emphasized by John Bogle.

The debate about the luck-skill spectrum in investing is stimulating, but I believe it is irrelevant in the discussion of the referenced article. You obfuscate by defaulting to the shortcomings of the baseball analogy and the luck/skill arguments.

You're diverting attention away from the purpose of my post; you're mudding the waters. Simply put, you were wrong in the manner that you originally read the article.

Best Wishes.
  • MJG
    edited March 2015
    Hi Guys,

Most of the population finds it a challenge to say “I was wrong”. I have never suffered that deficiency. I am frequently wrong and recognition of that possibility (even likelihood) has helped me in decision making and managing projects.

I always advised those folks who worked for me that if I didn’t make several errors in any given day, I was either not working fast enough or was not sufficiently confronting difficult issues. Errors and being wrong happens.

There are several good books that address the being wrong and being wrong admission failures. In fact, one such book has that exact title. You might be interested in securing a copy of Kathryn Schulz’s “Being Wrong” book. It’s a quick and witty read.

The book contains a memorable quote from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: “Once you have missed the first buttonhole, you’ll never manage to button up”.

Remember that even The Fonzie had difficulty in simply saying “I was wrong”. Here is a video Link to one such brief episode:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x237vwo_fonzie-is-wrong-but-cant-say-i-m-wrong_fun

Enjoy, it’s fun stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of folks share this shortcoming. Too bad.

Best Wishes.

• 'The fastest way to succeed is to double your rate of failure.'
    -- supposedly Thomas Watson Sr., from 'Whoever Makes the Most Mistakes Wins: The Paradox of Innovation'

'An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a narrow field.'
    -- supposedly Niels Bohr
  • I took another look at the article, and the author's previous article which further described the study, and I think the point is that just because a fund had a great year, doesn't mean it will persistently have great years. Bill Miller did it for a stretch, but then he came back to the mean.

The author's prior article on the subject (July 19, 2014) recognizes that over a longer term, some fund managers do beat the market. He points out that Hodges Small and SouthernSun Small Cap "rewarded shareholders spectacularly, turning a $10,000 investment to $35,000 over those five years, ... By contrast, the same investment in a Standard & Poor's 500-stock index fund would have become more than $23,000..."

I believe the value of the study by S&P Down Jones is to point out the risks of buying the hot funds that had a great year--as opposed to considering the long-term and the methodology of the fund. Too many investors buy the top one-year performers and end up selling when the funds have bad years.

[I do believe these forums lose some of their value when they descend into a right/left struggle. It can be a real turnoff.]
  • Bee: I've been thinking for some time that Health Care is going to come back to earth. High valuations/high percentage of GDP/ possible reductions of Affordable Health Care Act, etc. But so far I've been wrong. But it's too risky for my money.
  • edited March 2015
    If I understand correctly, we're not talking about who made more money for their investors over the recent 6-year stretch. We're talking about who performed more persistently over the 6 year stretch. I have no quarrel with either way of looking at that period.

I do wonder about the 2-year stretch that preceded the six-year stretch (roughly early 2007 until early 2009). Just a guess, but a great many actively managed stock funds should have appeared more persistent than their index-based counterparts due to their holding at least a modicum of fixed-income; whereas index funds would have been completely at the mercy of the rapidly falling market and also probably suffered from greater investor outflows as well.

Somebody will have to explain to me why as an investor I should worry about the "persistency" ranking of my funds over any 6-year period. My own belief is one shouldn't even own equity funds unless he/she has an investment horizon of at least 10 years - preferably longer.

• MJG, My only advice for investors like yourself is just go ahead( with Bogle) and invest in Index funds, and quit looking for Headline stories that try to justify your belief.....
    Trying to Convince investors like me is a time waster, I know your wrong (lazy) and my managers prove it every day...... but "best wishing"

Ole Joe belongs to the Tribe of "IF I could only get lucky" I too would be successful..... if I was taller,smarter or won the lottery then I would have it Made...the problem with the tribe, they SIT waiting for the luck, successful people are in action Everyday making their "own Luck"...but keep wishing ole Joe you'll get lucky......really
    no you won't
  • edited March 2015
    @Tampabay

Ok. Now that we know the warm and cuddly side of your personality exists.......
    who are you managers; being what active managed funds do you have in the household portfolio???

Thank you.
    Catch
  • Hi Hank,

You expressed an interest in earlier S&P Persistence Scorecards that contain Bear market performance records.

The S&P team has been doing this type of analyses for some time now, and their earlier reports are accessible. Here is a Link to their 2010 edition that should satisfy your curiosity:

http://www.standardandpoors.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobheadername3=MDT-Type&blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobheadervalue2=inline;+filename=PersistenceScorecard_Nov10.pdf&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobheadername1=content-type&blobwhere=1243781101148&blobheadervalue3=UTF-8

Wow, that’s some address. The study findings change each year numerically, but the general overarching findings do not. With minor exceptions, their 2010 conclusion resembles their most recent conclusion. Here is their 2010 top finding:

“Very few funds have managed to consistently repeat top-half or top-quartile performance. Over the five years ending September 2010, only 4.10% of large-cap funds, 3.80% of mid-cap funds, and 4.60% of small-cap funds maintained a top-half ranking over five consecutive 12-month periods. Expectations of a random outcome would suggest a rate of 6.25%.”

I like your long-term equities perspective. I have owned several activity managed mutual funds for over two decades. However, for even shorter timeframes that exceed one year, I might cut down a little on my equity positions while not abandoning them completely.

Especially today, the returns expected from fixed income sources barely nose-out inflation rates. I think I would attempt to minimize equity risk by very broad equity international and product diversification in holdings like emerging markets, real estate, and commodities. I do keep enough near-cash reserves in short term bonds and money markets to survive for at least two years.

That’s just me wandering a bit. I respect that all investors have different priorities, different risk profiles, different size war-chests, and different investment philosophies. More power and more profit to all of us.

Best Wishes.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks MJG.

I looked at your link. And also at a Vanguard study in which they reach a similar conclusion: The ability of actively managed funds to outperform during bear markets is over-rated. In some bear markets they do and in others they don't. More importantly perhaps, the Vanguard study found that in the years following bear markets, index funds usually do much better.

Mark was correct. I only glanced at the first couple paragraphs of the NYT article. The limited 6-year period which the author alludes to discouraged my reading further. Anything can happen over such a short period.

Regards
  • >> The ability of actively managed funds to outperform during bear markets is overrated. In some bear markets they do and in others they don't. More important perhaps, the Vanguard study found that in the years following bear markets, index funds usually do much better.

Link? I would like to read. I give lip service (and more than that) to these very notions in my winnowing down to PRBLX and the Yackts, but I regularly distrust my conclusions and seek contrary longterm evidence. Also at 68 I am in the retirement problem of having short and shorter longterm horizons, but unwilling to abandon equity funds and also unwilling (mostly) to index.

Hank and MJG, thanks much.
  • edited March 2015
    Swedroe's column on SPIVA's 2014 report: "Active Mgmt. Delivers Usual Results."
  • @Tampabay: Once again sir you show your propensity to pontificate from a base of ignorance. Contrary to your juvenile world view, I was born with a pretty fair amount of luck: reasonable intelligence, good health, caring parents, and in the USA. I used those assets to develop skills which resulted in an earning ability allowing me to retire at a reasonable age, and which, with respect to financial assets, quite allows me to hold my own in the MFO environment. Unlike yourself, I also used those skills for the benefit of our general community by serving in the Coast Guard for four years and in Public Safety for many more. I thank you for your suggestions as to how I should have run my life, but I assure you that they are unnecessary.

You seem to have had similar benefits. If in fact you were able to arrange the good fortune of your birth environment due to your own cunning, skill, and really hard work, then you are really quite unique, but somehow I doubt all of that very much.

Your ignorance is pathetic; your lack of compassion for others not as lucky as ourselves is simply contemptible. Yes, I said pathetic, contemptible, and lucky, and I mean exactly that. Your type: a dime a dozen.
  • @Leroy, tyvm, was looking for something rather more granular than these aggregated averages, but this is good to have to refer to. @OJ, you go, dude.
  • edited March 2015
    @Davidmoran

As you requested, here's the link to the Vanguard publication. Bear in mind the summation I provided was not an excerpt, but rather my own interpretation after having read the report. As such, it may or may not accurately reflect Vanguard's views.

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/icribm.pdf