Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BBALX, GBMFX and 3/1/15 commentary

GBMFX looks great and M* lists it as a no-load, no minimum fund, but neither Schwab nor TDAmeritrade accept orders for it. Beyond that, one of the great granddaddies of global allocation funds is First Eagle's SGENX. Yes, it has a load but over a complete market cycle it out-performs both BBALX and GBMFX (almost 1%/year better than GBMFX and almost 2%/year better than BBALX.) I hate paying loads and do so only very rarely - but once in a while it is worth doing so. As the Blackrock fund is also loaded, the First Eagle should be considered. Warning: There have been manager changes at First Eagle in that time period.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    SGENX is available load-waived at Schwab. I believe GBMFX like all the GMO funds has a $1 million minimum - they’re more for FA’s than individuals. The only other way to get GMO management is through some of Wells Fargo Advantage Funds - EAAFX is a world allocation fund managed by GMO.
  • For those interested in GBMFX, WABIX and the more costly (and widely available) WARDX class invest 100% of assets directly in GBMFX and are frequently available NTF.
  • Hi, NG.

Sorry about not picking up this thread before. Three quick notes: First, I didn't refer to SGENX in the profile because the plan was to compare BBLAX to the Gold-rated funds in its category. That, admittedly, excludes some very fine funds but I needed to keep the comparison manageable and reasonably objective because I didn't want to be guilty of cherry-picking. Second, SGENX recently lost Abhay Desphande, which is potentially major. Third, Abhay and I have exchanged notes. It appears to he's embargoed until summer but he has suggested that we might have a conversation about his next steps then.

For what all that's worth,

David
  • Hi NumbersGal,

In the World Allocation space, I would take a serious look at MTOIX ($500 min in Fidelity retirement accounts + TF) and HCOYX ($100 min in Scottrade accounts + TF, $500 min in TDA retirement accounts + TF).

Kevin
  • @MFO Members: In the World Allocation Fund space here are U.S. News & World Report's ranking of the various funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/world-allocation