Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach-SPDR Bond ETF launches tomorrow (TOTL)

Below is the link to the launch of the Gundlach-SPDR Total Return Tactical ETF. The fund charges 55 basis points.

http://www.etf.com/sections/features-and-news/gundlach-spdr-bond-etf-launch-feb-24

Has anyone ever bought an ETF on its first day of trading? I'm interested in this new ETF but I'm concerned the demand may trump supply and create a temporary premium on the first few trading days. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.
Mike_E

Comments

• Hi Mike,

I plan on watching this new ETF, but I see no reason to be an early buyer. My plan is to let daily trading volume increase to a reasonable level (at least 100K shares/day would be ideal) and wait for a track record to develop, and then make a decision later on whether or not to buy. In the meantime, if you want JG to manage some funds for you, you may want to take a look at DBLFX.

Kevin
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks for the headsup, Mike. I've been curious to see what that etf's going to look like, so to the watchlist it goes.

I'm not much of a fan of buying anything at startup, at least until I see how a fund works, and with an etf, until some volume develops. In the case of a new Gundlach etf, you could be right that there may be a premium early on.
  • Can anyone explain why this offering debuts now nearly nine months after its registration statement was filed?
  • TOTL should easily attract large amounts of AUM and daily trading volumes.....
    Gundlach is the "golden boy" du Jour and has been strong from a return basis
    over the past few years......

I agree to wait a quarter or two before entering ..TOTL should perform as well
    as the other MBS-leaning funds Doubleline manages. I think as time goes by
    TOTL will look more like a unconstrained bond fund than a MBS ETF

TOTL at 55 bps is cheap as compared to Doubleline other fund options.