Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anybody watching the State of The Union tonight?

edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
Normally I would. I guess out of a measure of curiosity as well as a sense of national duty.

But these things have become so boring and predictable. Handshakes. Smiles. Pomp & Circumstance.
Than the droning endless enumeration of things accomplished (greatly exaggerated) and those yet to be undertaken (the agenda). One side applauds. The other frowns or - on occasion - behaves in insulting manner.

Since I'll be able to read the entire text online moments after the ceremony ends, am thinking time might be better spent with a good film, book or some music.
--

And whatever you propose Sir ... Please don't mess with my Roth.

Comments

• I'd rather watch a rerun of last year's Super Bowl, and I was routing for Denver!
  • Definitely no.
  • @hank: Are you ,kidding me, NO !!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I'll read about it in the morning.
    Of course he'll try to mess with Roths, if not today, then some other day, if only to insinuate the idea of taxing Roths into the sheeples' minds. This may get the Roth owners galvinized...anybody know the number/worth of existing Roth accounts?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love our president and his family. Too bad it became so fashionable to hate the black man. We would be a stronger country if we had all stood with him.
  • No, I've already got a pretty good idea of the "state of the Union", and it ain't pretty. Might have been just a bit better if the president had received even the slightest support from Congress.
  • @Lawlar: Why must we inject race into the discussion on watching the State Of The Union speech ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Why would anybody? And hear how he wants to raise taxes on investments and any other item that the average Joe or Jane uses!!
  • edited January 2015
    The only card to play......what else to bring up for defense of His record
    not his color...who cares what it is? the "persons a disaster"....
  • Ted: just look at the polls or voting results, especially in the south. Or listen to some of my relatives! Scary! Or listen to Fox News. Race still matters in this country. Someday it won't matter, but it does today.
  • edited January 2015
    Ted- if you haven't talked to folks who consistently refer to the president as "the head ------" then you must not talk to a whole lot of people. And yes, these people do get most of their "information" from Fox "news", and yes, many of them do have Southern family roots.
  • edited January 2015
    Lawlar: I largely agree with your comments in the preceding post and your obviously heartfelt sentiments - though I believe there's plenty of fault to "go-round" when it comes to the unsuccessful attempts by various interested factions to deal with those issues. If David's willing to allow a thread on the topic of racism and racial inequality, than I suggest you begin one.

However, that was the last thing on my mind when I started what I thought to be an apolitical thread about the value of the Constitutionally mandated and time honored tradition of State of the Union Address.

Thanks for chiming in & Regards

*If parties want to continue discussing the race issue in this thread I have no objection ... (We gone)
  • Hank: Sorry if I hijacked your thread. I'm sitting on the beach in Maui, so I guess I should be more mellow. I was just talking in general terms and disappointed there is so much division in our country. But I guess that's what makes human nature so interesting.
  • I wonder if 20 years from now, analysis will say Obama was a bad president because he was black..... or just say he was just a bad President?..... just wondering
  • edited January 2015
    Delete

I should know better than to discuss politics
  • edited January 2015
    Headlines in NY Times portray the divisiveness that is evidenced in this thread and across our country.As lawler said It's human nature.

In State of the Union Speech, Obama Defiantly Sets an Agenda to Help the Middle Class
    By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVISJAN. 20, 2015
    “The verdict is clear,” Mr. Obama said. “Middle-class economics works. Expanding opportunity works. And these policies will continue to work, as long as politics don’t get in the way.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/us/state-of-the-union-obama-ambitious-agenda-to-help-middle-class.html?_r=0
    It's all politics ,all the time!
  • The subject of financial equality has to be a UN thing. Not only is it being pushed in the US, but all over the globe.

The real issue is having the proper atmosphere so that those who are lower income and inclined to do better , have the opportunity to do just that. The US seems to be going in the opposite direction.
  • George Zimmerman was not a white guy who killed a young black man, he was Hispanic, brown man, but what kind of story is that??
    A nonwhite killing a nonwhite...happens every day, every hour.... no media hype reporting everyday?
  • >> US seems to be going in the opposite direction.

exactly; that's the problem in 9 words.

>> I think his income inequality diatribes are a joke.

What diatribes? What are you thinking of, can you give an example? Maybe I missed something.
  • "I wonder if 20 years from now, analysis will say Obama was a bad president because he was black..... or just say he was just a bad President?..... just wondering "

Well, of course you've totally loaded that question by asserting the questionable formulation that "Obama was a bad president ". But you knew that.

The terribly sad thing, to me at least, is that 'm inclined to agree with you. It's absolutely true that the other party did everything conceivably possible, short of an impeachment attempt, to make certain that Mr. Obama could achieve virtually nothing. And they succeeded.

But I have to say that I feel that Mr. Obama, in many instances, is his own worst enemy. Perhaps too intellectual to be a good president. Sometimes smarter isn't necessarily better, at least with respect to achieving results. He doesn't seem to appreciate the making of sausage.

In fairness to Mr. Boehner, he was for all practical purpose the prisoner of his own group of activists who also don't appreciate the making of sausage. Strange times, very difficult operating restrictions, for all who tried to find a middle path. Too many folks who elect to be complete losers as opposed to partial winners. And that's the real "state of the Union".

• I devoted zero time to watching. I'll catch the details in other ways. Totally disenchanted with both of the major parties--- who together have hijacked the country. The President could have done some substantial good things. The obstructionist Congress should all be banished and replaced. They are an insult to the American people... But... Wait a moment.... The American people voted them into office, right? So just how STUPID are the American sheeple? Yup.
  • I agree with Crash.