Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why I Own KKR

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Almost bought KKR a year ago, decided to buy BX instead, Those high dividends are nice:)
  • Long BX and OAK, but KKR is also a strong choice.
  • Hey,are you guys trading on inside information !!
    U.S. Seeks Criminal Charges Against David Petraeus: Official
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is weighing bringing criminal charges against former CIA Director David Petraeus over the handling of classified information, a U.S. official said Friday night.
    Investigators have presented senior-level Justice Department officials such as Attorney General Eric Holder with information on the case to help inform a decision on charging the former four-star general, the official said.
    Since his resignation from the C.I.A. on Nov. 10, 2012, Mr. Petraeus has divided his time between teaching, making lucrative speeches and working as a partner in one of the world’s largest private-equity firms, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts.
    Along with his acumen on the battlefield, Mr. Petraeus was considered a natural political operator in Washington, where he easily navigated the politics of Congress, the White House and the Pentagon.

He fielded calls to run for president and cultivated a larger-than-life media image. All the while, he remained a trusted adviser to Mr. Obama, who appointed him to lead the C.I.A. in 2011.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/09/us-charges-david-petraeus_n_6446554.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/us/politics/prosecutors-said-to-recommend-charges-against-former-gen-david-petraeus.html?_r=0
  • I follow KKR, OAK, BX and CG from afar, but have yet to do anything, other than read about them.

I haven't been able to rationalize the extra K-1 forms (complicated) and tax implications (headaches), despite the interesting strategies/dividends etc.
  • @Amir: The K-1 is no big deal !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted Yes, the K-1 is no big deal, except that it is typically not available until the last few days of March. I don't want to go on extension, so I have to join the last minute scramble at my tax preparer's office.
  • @Bitzer: You point is well taken, my accountant has had to file for extrension on several occasions, but even with the trouble, I believe KKR is worth owning.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Late to the topic. I believe that a K-1 does not have to be reported if the investment is held within an IRA.
  • Late to the topic. I believe that a K-1 does not have to be reported if the investment is held within an IRA.

Depends if the partnership ends up with over $1000 in "Unrelated Business Income". If that happens, them the "Unrelated Business Income Tax" kicks in, even in tax qualified accounts. It is around 40%, I believe, but someone else might know better.