Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

529 education accts monies now may be shifted "two" times per calendar year

Recent federal legislation, H.R. 647, section 105 (part of a larger legislative action) was passed and signed; which, in part allows 529 educational account monies to be allocated to different holdings (funds) two times per calendar year; versus the original limit of once per calendar year.
Our Utah 529 plan has updated this change at the web site. One should be able to find a similar update of this information at all other 529 plan web sites.
Take care,
Catch

Comments

• Hey, Catch. Happy New Year to you and yours.
    A timely post, me thinks, as we were just nibbling and noshing around the kitchen discussing our 529's. Question: how does a 529 impact financial aid, either federal or thru the college of choice? No hurry here, the oldest gkid is 8:)
  • edited January 2015
    Hi @hawkmountain

A good and happy New Year beginning to you and yours, too.

This site should help with your question. This is not the SavingForCollege web site operated by Mr. Hurley.

However, the SavingForCollege site has a very decent discussion board that has been in place for many years.

Your own state's web site should also provide some very good information relative to your question; although some state 529 web sites are less helpful than others.

Although we live in Michigan and lose a bit of a state tax deduction, we chose the UTAH 529 for low fees and choices from a number of years ago. We build our own choices from their custom static fund choices. 'Course with the new law change, at least static is less so now.:)

Lastly, the quick and dirty method that usually provides decent results is to "Google" the question.:)

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • @Ted,

Thank you for your earlier post regarding the 529 pending legislation. Your note caused me to keep alert to the change.
    I, too; am pleased this needed change came into place. I had written to our senators a few times about this subject.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi Catch. The CSPN site should do it. We googled, but your response was much better.