Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chuck Jaffe: The Fund Mis-Manager of the Year — And More Lump Of Coal Awards

TedTed
edited December 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: I once visited friends for the holiday where the mom in the family insisted that the best thing about the season was “seconds,” meaning that there was always a second helping of everything good for those who wanted it.

Today, there’s a second helping of something bad.

It’s part two of my 19th annual Lump of Coal Awards, my two-week holiday tradition of easing Santa’s burden by singling out the bad boys and girls of the mutual-fund industry who deserve nothing more than an inky chunk of carbon in their Christmas stockings.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fund-mis-manager-of-the-year-and-more-lump-of-coal-awards-2014-12-23/print

Comments

• I'm surprised at his view on GAA. it seemed pretty clear to me how the expense ratio worked.

Now, is that pepper in that gravy or coal dust?
  • edited December 2014
    Do not own this but have considered.....and glad we did not.

VILLX was near the top of the moderate/balanced pile for several years and took a wrong turn somewhere this year. A -3.17% YTD. Bark, bark, bark.....

M* performance link
  • edited December 2014
    @JohnChisum. You're absolutely right. Like at MIT, good deeds were always rewarded with more work. Cambria tries to do the right thing here, and it gets coal? Good grief. So much for reinforcing good behavior. Just what we need in this business. Hey, let's instead give praise to fund houses that raise fees! FPA comes to mind. Mr. Jaffe should really reconsider. There are a lot of deserving candidates this year.
  • he never said anything bad about Cambria. have you read the article? he speaks of those who latched to the wrong thing:
    "The media and investors who focused on what they’re not paying for in the Cambria Global Asset Allocation ETF."
  • Yeah, I know...

But his is a headline driven business.

Did he give the media the coal?

Really do not think the GAA reference here serves Mr. Jaffe well.

• "The media and investors who focused on what they’re not paying for in the Cambria Global Asset Allocation ETF."

Jaffe puts up a headline like that and then tried to squirm out of it. That's how I read it. So, what was his point to begin with?

Chuck Jaffe should be getting the largest lump of coal here.
  • edited December 2014
    Hear, hear.

Poor form indeed.

Another example of no good deed goes unpunished =).