Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gold Miner ETF Suffers Biggest One-Day Loss in Over a Year

FYI: Friday’s oil crash laid waste to energy shares, but the gold miners were similarly trampled: the Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX) just quietly suffered its biggest one-day decline in nearly 1 1/2 years.

GDX, the biggest exchange-traded fund holding precious-metal miner stocks, dropped 8.7% on to close at $18.36 on Friday. Miner stocks, which tend to act like spring-loaded vehicles for trading gold or silver themselves, have been hugely volatile in recent weeks as gold has flirted with multiyear lows
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2014/11/28/gold-miner-etf-suffers-biggest-one-day-loss-in-over-a-year/tab/print/

Comments

• edited November 2014
    The gold funds I track were down around 6% - pretty typical for these beasts.

What isn't typical, however, is that PRNEX a natural resources fund (which I own), was also down around 6%. That has to be one of the biggest single-day losses that fund has ever experienced.

Locally, gas prices fell about 10 cents over just a few hours this afternoon. I'd expect that by Monday they'll be off another 10 - 20 cents or so. In northern Michigan we're still paying around $2.90 - probably high by nation-wide standards,
  • Hi Hank. $2.90 not high by NY standards. Lowest I've seen around here is ~$3.05.

I was temped to get back into PRNEX about a month ago. Obviously glad I didn't. I'll just let the oil wars with the Saudis and Russian sanctions and North American oil ventures play out until I see some uptrend. No sense trying to catch a falling knife.

And miners? Haven't touched them in over 3 years and never will gamble like that again. Yeah, some year they'll go up 80%, but maybe 1 out of 100 people can time that right and make money at it... and that isn't me. Actually, fund managers playing the value game with PM miners is the reason I left ARIVX a couple years ago. A loosing game IM<HO.
  • I believe these miners are down around 75-80% from their highs a few years ago. Once year-end tax loss selling is over, I must admit that I'm tempted to play the January Effect with them. A lot of people must be looking for tax losses this year, and these stocks are where they'll find them. The conditions for total capitulation seem ripe.