Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Legalized Marijuana in Mass

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Tweed is an interesting Canadian co. Kind of a boutique pot company, actually located in a former Hershey factory (there's a munchies joke in there somewhere.)

http://www.tweed.com/pages/about-tweed

I think legalization will roll out to more states, especially if it proves successful where it already has. I think what's surprising to me is that the tobacco companies haven't jumped in significantly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2014
    Not enough crazies in Boston?..now pot for all...great! Florida turned it Down, I'm staying...
  • I suspect, given the traders and bankers I've ever met, legal access won't affect fund performance one bit.
  • Howdy,

Up in Michigan, we've had legalized medical for 7-8 years. Patients able to grow up to 12 plants and caregivers able to grow the 12 plants of up to 5 patients. The biggest problem we've had is that there was no provision for connecting patients with caregivers. Initially, we had dispensaries but the old guard in the form of our AG ruled that the dispensaries were not allowed. They're still around but have been quiet. Quite a few cities have decriminalized pot and are wanting to license dispensaries. We've got some legislators pushing a bill to allow them under local jurisdiction.

That's been the problem with us. Now that Alaska and Oregon have fallen (FLA had to have 60% and they only got 57+ - try it in '16) look out for 2016. It being a presidential each party will want reasons to get their base out to vote.

Right now the biggest problem nationwide is that it's still classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic. And that, boys and girls, is why it's very hard to invest in. It's illegal under Federal statute. Hell, they can't even bank in Colorado.

and so it goes,

legalize it and tax it damn it,

peace,

rono
  • Drunk vs. Stoned
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ooooooooooo! look at the COLORS!
  • Washington state has legalized it for sale in specific shops which have to be approved by the state. The only thing I have heard is the worry of employees coming to work buzzed. Companies are redoing their policies on under the influence to include this. Driving is another issue and the state has issued guidelines.
  • Nice fiction, I have been a drinker all my life, Me and my friends drink and have fun, avoid driving and function as "drinking/drunk" humans..
    But if you have ever been around High or Stoned individuals believe me there is no comparison, They have no idea where they are at or what they are doing and yes they get in cars and drive, but just think the Cop can't say, I think I smell Alcohol...
    Legalize Dope for more "Dopes"....original tb
  • Howdy,

I went to Vietnam in 1968 having never smoked pot. I was RADAR O'Reilly for Alpha Company, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division for 20 months. Being the record keeper, so to speak, I was quite observant. I noted two things about folks smoking pot.

1. I'd watch guys get drunk, pick fights, get sick, and have hangovers. I'd watch pot smokers retire to the corner and leave everyone TF alone.

2. If we got called out, you had to knock out or let lay the drunks but give the pot smoker a carbonated beverage (i.e. soda pop) and hand him his rifle.

End of story. I don't expect to have this discussion again.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono

• Give a pot head a gun?, and your still alive...call you lucky
  • edited November 2014
    From the perspective of being of a younger age than most people on this board, I believe that marijuana will be a huge investment theme over the next 10 years or so. I don't know how this theme will play out i.e. invest in franchised dispensaries or companies that make grow lights, or companies that make nutrients, etc. That's why ETF's will be useful for investing in this enormous and still untapped industry as nobody yet knows how the investment theme will play out.

With declining revenue, I have to believe that the tobacco companies have plans drawn up and kept in secret vaults for when marijuana legalization becomes more widespread and accepted. These companies have been growing a similar product for ages and have the marketing and sales knowledge for a consumer good similar to marijuana. Plus tobacco companies are loaded with cash. So I would watch tobacco companies as possible investment plays as outright marijuana legalization becomes more common.

I believe that people should have their work evaluations based upon how they perform at work and only at work. If someone is drunk or stoned at work, then their performance will be impeded and that person should lose his/her job as they're not performing their jobs to the standard expected of them. Drug tests should become irrelevant. Driving while impaired should be strictly enforced by the traffic cops. But what one does at home after work and on weekends is their own business.

I believe that guns should be in the hands of nobody but the police and the military.

Loved the drunk vs. stoned video, I think it's accurate.