Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Which long short funds are not struggling this year?

The ones by Gotham Funds.

GARIX. GENIX. And, market neutral, GONIX.

Juiced-up. revamped versions of Formula Investing Funds, which were based on the great book "The Little Book That Beats The Market."

Here's summary through 3Q since inception for each of three young (and very expensive) Gotham offerings:

Comments

• I was just thinking on the Whitebox thread that market neutral funds have been pretty dismal this year. But, in general they don't participate in rallies.
  • total assets of GARIX are 1.2B after being available since May 2013!

GARIX has 2.7B

GONIX has 0.75B since August 2013.
  • edited November 2014
    Very interesting, Charles. The M* analyst report for GONIX (assuming the details are accurate) has a good description of the strategy.

Basically, it's designed to be 25% net long (120 long, 95 short, but with such a tiny beta that it falls into the M* market neutral category). They do a quant sort on adjusted cash flow and earnings for a universe of 2,000 U.S. stocks, and then, based on the rankings they come up with from doing their preferred math, go long the highest-rated 400+ and short the lowest-rated 400+.

I've never looked into MN funds much before, so have no idea how this approach compares to others, but from a quick view, I'm thinking this one at least bears watching, on the off chance they'll eventually make retail shares available at less than outrageous cost.

GARIX, the long-short fund, goes 60% long using the same methodology, with ~ 400 long and 300 short positions.

I do like this wave of quant and rules-based strategies that have been coming out over the last few years.

Thanks for the reference,
    AJ
  • QLENX is performing quite well.
  • I have faith in BPLEX. Note @VintageFreak I didn't say BPLSX
  • scott said:

QLENX is performing quite well.

It is, but it's as black a black-box strategy as I've ever looked at. Look the same to you?