Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Know What Junk Bond Funds Are---And Aren't

FYI: Low interest rates have led many investors to buy high-yield funds holding below-investment-grade, or junk, bonds.

It’s a strategy that has paid off over the past few years. But lately, investors have seen the other side of these high-yield bond funds: negative returns. As the stock market turned volatile, the funds lost money on average over the past month and three months, even as high-quality bond funds delivered positive returns
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2014/10/22/know-what-junk-bond-funds-are-and-arent/tab/print/?mg=blogs-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.wsj.com%2Ftotalreturn%2F2014%2F10%2F22%2Fknow-what-junk-bond-funds-are-and-arent%2Ftab%2Fprint&fpid=2,121

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Not to the messenger; but to the writers of the article. Man, I'm glad I am not in this line of work; requiring to pump out something, anything.

Did it really require two people to put together this piece; and what did anyone learn???

We learned that junk bond holdings went down, along with the broad U.S. equity market recently when some folks were a little bit shaken. Apparently the marketplace remains on the 1-3 month investment return(s) range, eh? I also don't recall an explanation related to the title.

The title could have been, "What have your investments done for you in the past 1-3 months?" Holy crap. with this type of article; as Robin would say to Batman.

My 2 cents for HY vs, well; the SP-500/ SPY.

Typical for the HY versus the SPY measurements for the past 5 years is that for every 1% move in SPY, HY bond sectors (active managed) move .25 - .33%; up and down. Plain and simple. (These numbers are from personal experience with our holdings during this period.)
    Yes, there are times when these numbers do not follow this pattern.

A quick view of a plain jane HY bond fund; and not even the best of the bunch, is to review SPHIX vs SPY.

Total returns:

Jan, 1999 - Oct 22, 2014

SPHIX = + 166%
    SPY = + 107%

The nasty period, Oct 2007- March 19, 2009

SPHIX = - 24%
    SPY = - 48%

Data source is Stockcharts.com.

Your mileage may vary.....

Regards,
    Catch

• edited October 2014
    I was looking recently at a fund I vacated about 6 months ago, CVSIX. Yikes did it take a dive starting around September 1. YTD it's up a bit over a half percent.

What's interesting about this fund is that they call it a "Market Neutral" fund and market it as a conservative income-oriented offering. In addition, Calamos sees itself as one of the leaders in fixed income, convertible & high yield investing.

FWIW
  • Great post, Catch; you nailed it.
  • +1, Catch
    catch22 said:

Not to the messenger; but to the writers of the article. Man, I'm glad I am not in this line of work; requiring to pump out something, anything.

Did it really require two people to put together this piece; and what did anyone learn???

We learned that junk bond holdings went down, along with the broad U.S. equity market recently when some folks were a little bit shaken. Apparently the marketplace remains on the 1-3 month investment return(s) range, eh? I also don't recall an explanation related to the title.

The title could have been, "What have your investments done for you in the past 1-3 months?" Holy crap. with this type of article; as Robin would say to Batman.

My 2 cents for HY vs, well; the SP-500/ SPY.

Typical for the HY versus the SPY measurements for the past 5 years is that for every 1% move in SPY, HY bond sectors (active managed) move .25 - .33%; up and down. Plain and simple.
    Yes, there are times when these numbers do not follow this pattern.

A quick view of a plain jane HY bond fund; and not even the best of the bunch, is to review SPHIX vs SPY.

Total returns:

Jan, 1999 - Oct 22, 2014

SPHIX = + 166%
    SPY = + 107%

The nasty period, Oct 2007- March 19, 2009

SPHIX = - 24%
    SPY = - 48%

Data source is Stockcharts.com.

Your mileage may vary.....

Regards,
    Catch

• Nice post catch. And not just since January 1999 but junk bonds have beaten (barely) the S&P since junk's infamous bottom in mid December 2008. All in all, junk bonds have been the place to be this century. The allure of junk bonds has always been their risk adjusted returns as compared to the S&P. I realize some aren't into risk adjusted returns but the volatility I have to endure in an asset class is paramount to how I trade/invest, i.e. the lesser the better.
  • @Junkster No one loves junk more than I do, but for the remainder of 2014 its all about equities.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted, you and old_skeet have been right-on about sticking with equities this year. So I can't argue with those who have been spot-on.