Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• The biggest reason not to own PTTRX is not the departure of Bill Gross but the size of the fund itself. There are plenty of stories of people and institutions and pension funds etc all pulling out of Pimco. A decision based on emotion? Probably.

Moving over to Janus opens another can of worms as Janus has had their issues with ethics and SEC investigations.

I don't own any Pimco funds but if I did I would stay put.
  • Hey,

I own one (PASAX) and I am keeping it.

Old_Skeet
  • Bill Gross is old news and has no influence whatsoever on my PIMCO holdings. PIMCO has some good offerings and some bad; I pick and choose.
  • msf
    edited October 2014

Moving over to Janus opens another can of worms as Janus has had their issues with ethics and SEC investigations.

I don't see this as opening another can of worms. PIMCO made its own deals with Canary (for $25M) to allow Canary rapid trading while barring "regular" investors from doing that.

That resulted in a $50M settlement between PIMCO and the SEC.
    Here's the SEC's notice of distribution of settlement money to shareholders (in 2011!).

Best description of what PIMCO was doing I found in a quick search is in a WSJ article (as usual, follow this google link, click on first story: Scandal Tags Pimco Funds Run by William Gross

And there were other misdeeds - Stephen Treadway (the former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of many of PIMCO's funds) personally settled with the SEC for failing to disclose a conflict of interest in setting up shelf space deals for funds handled by PIMCO's distributor.

When using broad brushstrokes (PIMCO "has had their issues with ethics and SEC investigations"), a lot of families get tarnished. Details on Janus, like details on PIMCO, show that there were multiple subsidiaries and fund groups in each family, and only some of them were involved.

(Though in PIMCO's case, while the bond funds weren't directly involved in the market timing, some were used to park the trading money - including Gross' funds - Total Return and Low Duration.)
  • @msf, thanks for that info, I was not aware of that situation with Pimco. I knew that the SEC had investigated them for something but these days the SEC has been targeting a lot of financial operations.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hey,

I own one (PASAX) and I am keeping it.

Old_Skeet

Likewise, I'm keeping PAUDX. I can buy your fund in my 401k but haven't.