Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WealthTrack: Q&A With Kathleen Gaffney, Manager, Eaton Vance Bond Fund: Video Presentation

13»

Comments

• 4.75% on a supposed bond fund? That hinges on being criminal. I didn't know that.

Sadly you are probably right about unsuspecting people getting put into this fund not knowing the details. They just see the rate of return. The brokers get a nice commission too.
  • edited October 2014
    You're right about seeing the rate of return. And seeing a fund that is number one in performance, etc....these are very strong motivators

• I purchased my EVBAX load free at Fidelity. I don't index bonds because I believe I can find active managers who add value. Hope I didn't make a mistake here.
  • edited October 2014
    Hello,

I own EVBAX and was surprised that it was listed as a bond fund when I first made purchase. Perhaps something to the effect of multi-asset/sector income might be a better fit. I currently have this fund in my income sleeve but it might be a better fit in my hybrid income sleeve due to its holdings.

Old_Skeet
  • I find it useful to look at Ms. Gaffney's EVBAX, while mindful of her one-time, long-time mentor, Mr. Fuss and his team at LSBDX and NEZYX, (as it relates to their holdings and views on the markets).

Both are value driven and opportunistic. She seems to be slightly more aggressive, while having a smaller, nimbler asset base.
  • edited October 2014
    I would agree and EVBAX is more of a strategic income or income and growth fund. NEZYX has a very similar profile.

Edit PS; I should add that LSBDX and NEZYX have much lower expense ratios than does EVBAX.
  • @John, Many of us don't have $100K to meet the required minimum. Wish they would have lower requirement for tax deferred accounts.
  • @Sven If you want to get in on the fun, Fidelity offers EVBAX load waived, with a $2,500 minimum. Hard to beat that