Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AQR's Asness: Prices Are Too High--But It's Not All Bad

FYI: Valuations across most asset classes are at the highest levels they have ever been, according to AQR.

Stocks and bonds, particularly in the US, are in the top 85th percentile of historic levels, said AQR founding principal Cliff Asness at a briefing in London on Thursday. He also warned: “I don’t know of any large liquid asset class that’s not expensive.”
Regards,
Ted
http://www.ai-cio.com/print.aspx?id=2147489788

Comments

• I am very happy to have left His Asness behind. Waste of spaceness.
  • Ok, Cliff, time to show your stuff. We'll be watching
  • edited October 2014
    Everyone was upset about AQR Risk Parity's performance. Up 8% this year, well ahead of its category, as well as the moderate allocation category. AQR L/S also near top of category. (shrugs)
  • @scott We may disagree on this, but, at least for his larger funds, I'd view Cliff's performance as mixed. And these funds are all relatively new, with only 1-3 year performance records.
  • He's a moron, and best of all stubborn and ready to double down:

(http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/)

Nobody Understands the Liquidity Trap, Cliff Asness Edition

Cliff Asness, one of the signers of the infamous open letter warning Ben Bernanke that his policies risked debasing the dollar, weighs in with a complaint that I am being a big meanie. As Brad DeLong immediately notes, what Asness mainly ends up doing is showing that he doesn’t at all get the whole notion of the liquidity trap, and the resulting irrelevance of monetary expansion to both prices and output.

Clearly, Asness has never read anything at all on the subject — not what I’ve written, not what Mike Woodford has written, not what Ben Bernanke has written. And he seems to view the failure of inflation to follow from quantitative easing as some sort of weird coincidence, not what anyone who applied basic macroeconomics to the situation predicted.

Now, I understand that busy people can’t keep track of everything, and even that you can sometimes be a successful money manager without reading up on monetary economics. But if you’re one of those people who don’t have time to understand the monetary debate, I have a simple piece of advice: *Don’t lecture the chairman of the Fed on monetary policy.*
  • I'm not sure if he is a moron and I don't hate him for his performance or his lack thereof. I detest what his institution stands for. He should stick with running hedge funds, but seems to me that was not a very profitable business and he is running mutual funds instead.
  • Sorry, was not referring to his managing of money; apologies for not making that clear. Was just chiming in maybe inappropriately with economics.
  • A lot of these guys that become famous, usually via financial media, are letting that fame go to their heads. We have seen some implosions as of late. (Gross anyone?)
  • It doesn't help when they get "legitimacy" by appearing on Consuelo Mack and such.
  • @VintageFreak,

No it doesn't help but shows like that can expose the person. The watcher can make up his or her mind if the guest is real or playing to the media.

It is kind of like reality shows which I hate intensely. Some of those people are obviously playing to the camera. The reality part comes into question too