Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best Funds No One Knows About

FYI: A few weeks ago, I advised investors to beware of mutual fund asset bloat, because the mutual funds with the largest size in assets under management are rarely the best in performance. But the opposite is also true: Some of the best funds are often those that are smaller in size, compared to the averages in their respective categories.
Regards,
Ted
http://investorplace.com/2014/10/best-funds-low-aum/print

Comments

• Thanks Ted, but I'm pretty much done betting on the mutual funds world's best kept secrets. Pretty much a 50/50 crapshoot. Yes, a 10 year beat its peers performance record is impressive, but how long will it last?
  • Ted I thought you favored the bigger funds like Vanguard total market or so index?
  • @John Chisum: I'm just the messenger, not the message.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted We understand that Ted, but, speaking for myself, your postings can provoke lively discussion (which I think is good).
  • this particular site, investors.com starts their articles with a direct personal message and when Ted copies and pastes for his summary it sounds like it came from him.

I just use my own words.
  • Here's latest ratings on these three funds...

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/fund-ratings/?symbol=MFDAX+POGSX+TFSSX&submit=Submit

The article's author failed to point out that Pin Oak Equity (POGSX) drew down 88% in 2002.
  • Ted said:

@John Chisum: I'm just the messenger, not the message.

Ted, if you don't want that angle to be misunderstood, you need to put quotes around the sentence(s) you quote from the articles you post, as has been said before, and as we all learned in junior high English.
  • edited October 2014
    I have never found it hard to realize it's not his voice or opinion; never found it misleading. Especially after one or two.
  • POGSX. The best joke is the one that is cracked without realizing it.

The best phone number, some people should dial, but don't... 1-800-EAT-S***
  • What about that help wanted ad in the newspaper saying "mechanic wanted".

I've watched too many Jason Statham movies.
  • :D. With Statham, movies you kinda have to remove your brain temporarily from your skull for the duration of the movie. After I watched "Crank", I sorta reached that conclusion.
  • statham is best actor from french imho
  • I think he is from Britain. You might be thinking of Jean Claude Van Damme?

These b movies are a lot more fun than the highly rated ones in the theaters.
  • I think he is from Britain. You might be thinking of Jean Claude Van Damme?

These b movies are a lot more fun than the highly rated ones in the theaters.

Good points. You are right. There is so much marketing hype. There is really not much to differentiate between the A-list and the B-list. At least the latter are not pretentious. Hunger Games vs Snowpiercer. I actually think the latter is better.

Anyways, it is easy to mistake Statham for a Frenchie because of his association with Luc Besson who is French and they have some association going back.

Finally I daresay this conversation is far more interesting than the original and I am not going to apologize for playing a part on hijacking this thread.
  • Charles said:

The article's author failed to point out that Pin Oak Equity (POGSX) drew down 88% in 2002.

Amazing drawdown. Worse than the great depression. Looking at the bio of the manager at the time, it says he has more than 40 years of investment experience. Must have been almost exclusively dot com tech to have a drawdown like that. He stopped managing the fund in 2007