Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Probably not a bad sector to invest in. My two growth funds each have over 12% allocated to health stocks. One has to be careful not to get overweight in this sector.

PS; SPY or the SP500 index has 14.46% in the healthcare sector per M*
  • Be buy'in more of PRHSX and FSPHX as the prices move about here.....
  • View from Tampabay (courtesy of morningstar xray):
    *You have a lot of exposure to sectors marked by this icon. You should take special note of your large position in healthcare stocks. Healthcare issues generally offer good growth potential but come with a lot of risk. Keep in mind that many companies in this area face long, expensive product-development cycles and significant regulatory challenges. Also, the prices of these stocks tend to move together.

My take: Healthcare, the place to be for growth and rising profits,minimal risk...tb
  • should be good for 5-10 years. after that too well known to be investible (all will know about ageing baby boomers?
  • Pick your poison:)
  • I added to PRHSX just yesterday and have been trying to be overweight healthcare for the last 3 or 4 years. @jerry, I think you're right, everyone already knows about aging baby boomers, but the rest of the developed world is getting old too. I also believe there will be huge opportunities in China especially if the middle class continues to grow and healthcare becomes more important to people. If it were only for the US/Europe/Japan I would probably let the chips fall where they do with my funds and not pay as much particular attention to being overweight.
  • TedTed
    edited October 2014
    @MFO Members: Sounds like a broken record, but I've been telling MFO Board Members to buy healthcare, especially biotech, for over three years.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2014
    at 32% healthcare holding, I too have the same morningstar message like @tampabay
    "You have a lot of exposure to sectors marked by this icon. You should take special note of your large position in healthcare stocks. Healthcare issues generally offer good growth potential but come with a lot of risk." In my holding PRHSX , VHCOX, VTSAX, PRWCX,VCVLX, VPCCX each has more than 15% exposure to healthcare.