Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Health Care Funds Beat The Market

FYI: Health care mutual funds have outpaced the broad stock market in the past 15 years, with the pace of outperformance picking up in the past two years.
A $10,000 investment in the average health care fund on June 30, 1999, would have ballooned to $43,820 by Sept. 24, 2014, according to Morningstar Inc. data.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTg1MDc5ODY=

Enlarged Graphic: http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WEBlv0926.gif&docId=719115&xmpSource=&width=981&height=1130&caption=&id=719116

Comments

• One of the Best, thank You Vanguard....

Performance VGHCX More...
    Expense; 0.35%

1 Yr +19.68

3 Yr +32.5

5 Yr* +27.75

10 Yr +12.69

Growth of 10,000 11,968 10,096 13,252 20,851 25,276 33,021 (10yr)

• @Tampabay: Interesting that both Ed Owens and Kris Jenner that made both Vanguard and T. Rowe Price Health Care Funds what they are, have gone.
  • Lots of concern among Vanguard investors when Ed Owens Retired, but I was sure Jean Hynes (current manager) could continue the funds success, because I felt she was doing most of the "heavy lifting" anyway. Good Move, worked out.
    Wish Kris Jenner would resurface Somewhere, He got me started in Healthcare, when he left I did, but TR Price HC doing fine. Kris Where are you?
  • FHLC has been looking good, seems to me.
  • I think the trend will last for awhile due to ageing baby boomers.Since the market will anticipate that event, 2020 might be a time to reduce allocation rather than say 2026 which is the year peak births turn around 75.
  • Depends, what year do you anticipate Healthcare Costs to go down? and Healthcare companies and Drug Companies to stop making big profits? That could be a good year to stop investing in Healthcare...till then just riding the waves...
  • Tampabay said:

Depends, what year do you anticipate Healthcare Costs to go down? and Healthcare companies and Drug Companies to stop making big profits? That could be a good year to stop investing in Healthcare...till then just riding the waves...

I expect health care costs to go down in the year two thousand and never. The health care companies are a real example of tails I win, heads I win - I have no probs adding further to health care in various forms.

• Kris Jenner started his hedge fund Rocks Spring capital last October, so far his fund is doing better than TR health care fund and most other health care related funds.
  • @Ted, I think both Owen and Jenner have solid successors who continue the proven investment process. Both funds are still excellent no-load funds.