Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Finra Issues Risk Alert For Frontier Market Funds

FYI: The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority warned investors Thursday to travel with care when considering putting money in funds focused on less-developed countries.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/finra-issues-risk-alert-for-frontier-market-funds-19169.html?print

Comments

• Hopefully WAFMX isn't one of those funds they consider dangerous from a structural perspective. Aside from the basic risk of investing in these markets, the fund seems reasonably well diversified across various countries and while mostly focused on consumer non-cyclical stocks it seems an appropriate way to benefit from the rising middle class in those countries.

• I've switched out of WAFMX to MFMPX.
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=MFMPX&region=usa&culture=en-US

From MFMPX Manager's 2nd Quarter Commentary
    The Middle East and North Africa continue to present political
    risk for the region, although conflicts in countries including
    Egypt and Syria have created opportunities for markets like
    such as the U.A.E. as locals look for safety and stability. The
    classification of the U.A.E. to Emerging Markets status was
    largely an additional tailwind for the market. In Saudi Arabia,
    where roughly 50% of the population is under the age of 30,
    the monarchy’s development programs appeared to be
    constructive including “Saudization,” the program focused on
    integrating local Saudis into the workforce. We believe higher
    Saudi employment will benefit the economy particularly in
    consumer discretionary spending and financials. We are more
    constructive on Kuwait following a recent visit as we think there
    is potential for the non-oil GDP growth to turn positive, we see
    more stability in the political environment of the economy and
    the Non-Performing Loan (NPL) cycle appears to have passed
    its peak.
    We see positive implications for equity markets in countries
    new leaders have come to office within previously troubled
    countries, particularly Pakistan, where Nawaz Sharif became
    Prime Minister in June of 2013. He has pledged to change the
    reputation of the country known for extremism and poverty to
    one known for good governance and prosperity. So far, he has
    shown to be effective and investors are responding in kind
    More on manager's background.
    http://citywireglobal.com/news/former-aa-rated-drinkall-leaves-gustavia/a288116
    Morgan Stanley Home Page (a little hoop jumping !)
    http://www.morganstanley.com/msim/portal/site/US/template.PAGE/?msimPageTitle=productdetail&u=86bb14f4dc87daf33d3afb1051a9e009&fund=34211&src=vap
  • TRAMX also seems to fall within the frontier profile...fingers crossed.
  • So why would FINRA issue an "alert" right now, as opposed to a month ago, six months ago, a year ago, etc.? The alert begs the question, and nothing in the very brief article gives a hint as to what the answer might be. Did they just now notice that frontier funds exist?
  • blogs.wsj.com/frontiers/2014/09/12/regulator-ramps-up-warning-to-retail-investors-over-frontier-funds/

Here's a WSJ link with a bit more information and even a partial answer to the question about why now. I'm not sure I agree with the statement that one didn't know what was going to happen when Qatar and UAE left the Frontier 100 Index. I seem to remember reading a lot about what was going to happen and I think MSCI was pretty transparent as well.

I had never heard of FINRA before and this type of stuff makes me wish these guys aren't paid for with any of my money, which in some indirect way I'm sure they are.
  • FINRA has 3400 employees per their website. I wonder what they really do?
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks for the more complete writeups, LLJB. From the WSJ piece, it does sound like the index reconfiguration (and piles of investor $ going into FM funds?) was the catalyst for the warning. The quote from the spokesperson, though, was about the attractive "yields" of FM funds, not capital gains, which is a hard argument to make when the 3 FM funds I see mentioned most often yield a whopping 0.16, 0.10, and 0.35%.

The piece also had a short 'graph about other recent FINRA warnings:

"With the alert, frontier funds are joining a list of products Finra warned investors about, namely Bitcoin, promissory notes, and high-yield certificate of deposits. Last month, Finra warned about stocks in companies that claim to provide products that protect against the spread of viruses or other harmful diseases like Ebola."

I was curious so googled FINRA + mortgage-backed to see if I could find an equivalent warning about subprime MBS in ~ '06-'07, but there were so many hits I didn't go through them all. It was FINRA, though, that brought the actions against Schwab for its essentially fraudulent YieldPlus fund and some of the big banks for breaking disclosure rules related to MBS after the crisis.

FWIW, AJ
  • edited September 2014
    Here we go - quantifying the concentration risk of the FM index after the shift, from Laura Geritz's (WAFMX) quarterly commentary:

"With the UAE and Qatar gone from the MSCI Frontier Index, nearly half of the Index is made up of two dominant markets—Nigeria and Kuwait. Adding four other countries, Pakistan, Argentina, Morocco, and Kenya brings us to well over two thirds of the Frontier Index market cap in only six countries."
  • FINRA has 3400 employees per their website. I wonder what they really do?

Arbitration hearings, lengthy licensing exams, continuing education, investigations for the SEC, and lots and lots of spot inspections of every single broker-dealer or trader in America to make sure they're compliant with the massive amounts of rules FINRA employees write as well.