Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach: re. real LT economic growth, ya might consider tempering your enthusiasm

edited August 2014 in Fund Discussions
Aston/DL Core Plus Bond Fund hits 3-yr mark, with a M* 5-star.:)
http://astonfunds.com/news?newsID=1431

Aston has released lengthy, interesting (yes, IMFO) interview with Gundlach, previously only available to advisors. Part I covers bond investing in the near-term, and challenges upcoming; Part II covers broader economic issues, as well as reflections on the operation of the DoubleLine investment management firm. Both parts can be read online by going to Aston home page, click "News" then click "Manager Insights" (as of today, Parts I-II top of list). Alternatively, there is a pdf which fuses both into a nice single doc, which I'll try here:

http://astonfunds.com/includes/modules/assets/controllers/Files/download.php?file=1406838212_AstonInterviewSinglefinal.pdf&r=/news/manager-insight

Comments

• A very good read. Thanks heezsafe.
  • ...previously only available to advisors.
    What a racket.
  • I enjoyed reading that. I own DLFNX. I'm still not certain what "Core-plus" means. But he does a good job. Glad I made that purchase.
  • Crash, I own a bond fund called Core Plus. My understanding was that it could be a core holding for a bond portfolio as it holds different types of bonds. In the fund I mention, these are investment grade bonds. Of course, I sense it is more marketing again as the fund naming committees enjoy using those buzzwords. At least it was not called strategic.
  • Concentrating on the topic of owning bond funds in a rising rate environment; there are plenty of fear stories out there that talk of armeggedon and losing your money. This is fear mongering to me. I see the downside at the beginning of the rate rise but managers would adjust and the comeback would even things out. Nobody talks of the total return of bond funds in these circumstances. The focus is on the principle or the NAV.

A bigger question might be how stock funds will react in the same environment? Will the comeback be different? The thread about the Callan tables seems to answer these questions.

Am I looking at this wrong?
  • @JohnChisum Are you referring to ACCNX? I recall you mentioning that as one of your holdings. I own both ACCNX (which, because of its conservative nature, I currently clump with my intermediate-term bond funds) and ADBLX (which, I assure you, is a whole different "core plus" cat!). Alas, I'm afraid that ACCNX will never get the love, because of so much attention paid to dvd yield, which in ACCNX's case is relatively low. If people would be a bit more mentally flexible, so to speak, they would notice that ACCNX usually kicks out an additional CG at year's end; add that to the total monthly dvd the fund kicks out and one gets a very respectable annual distribution yield, from a fund with a reasonable e.r. and a well-diversified asset base. As I see it, the "plus" of this fund occurs only when it is opportunistic, unlike ADBLX.

@Crash I wish I could answer your question re. meaning of "core plus" of ADBLX easily. Because of The Aston Way (which, as Charles correctly notes, is more than a tad annoying), I'd almost have to give you a pile of links to info on the fund, from which you'd have to pull relevant passages, then collate and synthesize to draw a fairly reliable inference (which, for most data-driven MFOers, just won't cut it, ya know?). This is not a trial balloon for them; they ran this strategy at TCW Galileo, but only for separate accounts. And that is the reason I'm comfortable in it--- I knew someone with a separate account there that included this strategy, who confirmed my hunches. ADBLX has more risk than DLFNX, but you have to look rather closely at both portfolios and their asset allocations and trust your instincts to see it.
  • @heezsafe, Yes, ACCNX is the fund. Core Plus Bond. I never figured what the plus was for but glad you mentioned that CG at the end of the year. I like the fact that it is sure and steady and for that reason it is my core bond holding.
  • @JohnChisum Yeah, someday we'll have to chew the fat about ACCNX. To manage that holding with the greatest efficiency, there are some extra things ya need to watch that ya don't usually need to do. Still, it's a rest easy kind of fund, with a level of diversification that is higher than most. Clever how they grab those little bits here and there.
  • edited August 2014
    'Core' in the case of a bond fund usually means a predominantly investment-grade intermediate-term fund that's light on 'extras' like ex-U.S. and non-IG; total bond funds, like say Vanguard's VBTLX, are probably the purest examples. 'Core plus' means it's got more of those extras. 'Core,' then, is safer on credit risk than 'core plus,' and depending on maturities, generally not as safe on interest rate risk, whereas 'core plus' has at least some of both types of risk.

It's not an exact science; seems like it's more of a continuum from core to core plus to multi-sector. It's the holdings that matter, not the name - for one example, Crash's DLFNX is called Dbl Core, but if you look at the holdings (nearly 30% non-IG, a chunk of EM bonds, a slug of non-agency mortgages), it'd be pretty easy to call it core-plus. (I'm not familiar with ADBLX, and M* doesn't show its credit breakdown.)

Cheers, AJ

P.S. Thanks for the PDF link, heezsafe. I like to see what JG's thinking at different times, and don't spend as much time as I used to listening to his web chats.
  • Thanks AndyJ. That makes it clear to me. M* has the duration of ACCNX at 4.8 years. I'm not sure how accurate that is. I think it's closer to 4 years.

I also opened a positioned in ASDVX which a brand new fund at AC. Short Duration Strategic Income. Duration is supposed to be three years and under. It's one of those Unconstrained do everything go anywhere bond funds that are popping up all over. There is another fund with the same game plan but longer duration. I have it on my watch list but am not sure if it fits a need at this time. I'm still riding this bull until she croaks. Hopefully I will know when that is.
  • edited August 2014
    One might think the 'outside the box' intellect of Mr. Gundlach makes him somewhat of a gunslinger, but it's the opposite - as the article points out - DoubleLine is a metaphor for risk-adverse lines you should not cross when investing.

His investing thesis, the culture of his workplace, as well as his take(s) on demographics, housing, music and art are thought provoking.
  • Thanks for posting, heezsafe, Grundlach comes across very well in this piece. I'm curious, are you invested in any of the Doubleline funds?
  • Invested in Doubleline via Oaktree (OAK)
  • @expatsp
    Yes, I've been invested in DLTNX, DLFNX, and DLENX since close to their inception. On the "outside," I'm in ADBLX and RNDLX. Nothing huge, or hugely overweighted in any of them (except for RNDLX, which has come to hold more than the others, for some reason). Most of these are "paired" with hotter/cooler versions of funds at other fund families, invested in similar strategies. Maybe too many eggs in the basket, I dunno, but not too many of the same eggs. This has worked well for me so far. About the only consequence I have to guard against/be vigilant is asset allocation drift. For example, I recently did the math and found out my eyeball assessment of total EM bond in all funds in my collection had increased quite of bit higher than I'd thought.
  • @scott Clever boy.:) And, at the right price, so too shall I!
  • Charles said:

...previously only available to advisors.
    What a racket.
    Can't stand that stuff.
    A lot of websites I sign up for have separate versions and separate access.....the "financial advisors" get one level of access, and we 'regular people' get a lower level of access.

A bunch of crock.
  • @rjb112 Yeah. Maybe, at some point, we could get @BobC (he's a licensed financial advisor with a number, isn't he?) to go register at Aston and take a peek under the privileged covers, just to see if the fund information available to advisors is "all that," so statistically deep that we common folk could not possibly understand/interpret its meaning and would endanger our financial health if we tried. Yuck, yuck.
  • Concentrating on the topic of owning bond funds in a rising rate environment; there are plenty of fear stories out there that talk of armeggedon and losing your money. This is fear mongering to me. I see the downside at the beginning of the rate rise but managers would adjust and the comeback would even things out. Nobody talks of the total return of bond funds in these circumstances. The focus is on the principle or the NAV.

A bigger question might be how stock funds will react in the same environment? Will the comeback be different? The thread about the Callan tables seems to answer these questions.

Am I looking at this wrong?

@JohnChisum, the whole issue of fixed income investing in a rising rate environment is very important. I think we should talk about it more on MFO. And, 'fixed income investing in today's environment'. Even Dan Fuss and the Loomis Sayles people feel that 'the 30 year bull market in bonds is now over', and significant adjustments to bond investing need to be made. The manager of Templeton Global Bond was on Connie Mack's TV show WealthTrack in June 2014. Check out the first 8 minutes or so for his bearish US bonds thesis:

He thinks interest rates could rise in a short period of time.
    I have no idea personally. Let me play devil's advocate for the bond bear case:
    Let's say interest rates rise 2% over one year. Take a bond fund with a duration of 6 and a yield of 2.5%. Rates rise 2% in one year, the NAV goes down 12%, the 2% yield has now risen but it takes a while for all the bonds in the fund to mature and be replaced with new bonds yielding 2% more can't prevent a fairly large negative total return.

Some bond funds could have double digit losses, especially intermediate to long term bond funds.

You suggested "I see the downside at the beginning of the rate rise but managers would adjust". I'm not convinced that the managers would adjust in an effective or timely manner. Also, many funds can't adjust, because their Prospectus does not allow for flexibility, e.g., many funds are based on the Barclays Aggregate Bond Index. I think many of the unconstrained bond funds will adjust, and most of the core funds may not be able to based on the fund mandate in the Prospectus.

So Treasuries may do very badly in a rising rate environment, depending on how fast the rates rise.

The catch 22: Treasuries and high quality investment grade bonds provide the most effective diversification against stock market declines. The unconstrained bond funds typically hold a lot of non-treasury and lower rated debt, which might do better in a rising rate environment, but would do much worse in a stock bear market or if the economy falters and does not recover well.

So JohnChisum and MFOers, how shall we invest in fixed income at the present time?
    I don't have the answer.

• @heezsafe, thanks for sharing your investments with Doubleline and congrats, they've all done well.

Perhaps this is worth a separate thread, but anyone have any thoughs on DFLEX? It's Gundlach's unconstrained bond fund, which he opened this April.
  • IMHO, I don't like the fact that Gundlach has a "flexible income fund", a "total return bond fund", and a "core fixed income fund". This is all nonsense, rubbish.
    I just want to give my fixed income money to a fixed income expert like Gundlach and I'm saying to him, "you're the bond expert, invest the money wisely in the bond market and that's why I've chosen you as my manager; I'm not going to tell you where or how to invest it".

Then I'll do the same thing with stock market money and 'hire' and expert manager to invest stock market money for me.

To the extent that you can't do this, to that very extent active management fails. And I think it fails a LOT.
  • Love Gundlach. He's one of the few "talking heads" in this industry worth listening to. I love the fact that he's a contrarian, and his track record has certainly earned him credibility.
  • @rjb112, Thanks for the explanation above. It is a topic due for an intense conversation here.

When Gundlach speaks I do listen. He comes across as a brilliant investor. Why he has multiple styles of funds? Marketing.

His Unconstrained funds should be his bread and butter.
  • @rjb112, Thanks for the explanation above. It is a topic due for an intense conversation here.

Certainly, yes.