Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Two Multisector Bond Funds

How does RNDLX compare with PONDX and would owning both be duplication?

Mona

Comments

• IMHO, Mona, there's diversification benefit to owning both.

* Different managers, different cultures.

* An actively managed exposure to CEFs in RNDLX.

* There's some amount of zig and zag effect in owning both: the chart of the two since RNDLX's inception shows RNDLX as a little more interest rate sensitive.

* They're both good plays on the 'new neutral' (leveraged income without going too far out on the credit spectrum) - so if bonds are a big part of a portfolio, some credit risk exposure (e.g., shorter term high yield in the B's) might be helpful to provide balance in case the NN doesn't persist.

* With RNDLX, you need to be comfortable with occasional swings in NAV -- comes with the CEF territory.

FWIW, AJ

• I second Andy's assessment. I would add that PONDX has significant exposure (~60%) to developed and emerging market bonds. PONDX serves as a global bond fund for me.

https://investments.pimco.com/Products/pages/314.aspx

I currently own both own funds and find them complimentary.

Mike_E
  • 60% of PONDX is in bonds out side the US???? If that is true it is strikingly different than what M* has in their portfolio data (85% in the US and 8% in the Cayman Islands, which is usually US corporations hiding money from the tax man). I've never know PONDX to be even close to a global fund.

Am I goofed up on what this fund is about - multisector and heavy in corporate bonds, not global? What gives?

I don't own this fund right now (have in the past), but I'm considering it when I roll-over my 401k. I have a global fund (FGBRX) and I don't need two.
  • http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/multisector-bond/pimco-income-fund/pondx/holdings

All of these data, M* and others, come from outside sources, I bet; I do not think anyone crawls through Pimco filings, but even then. Cayman stuff is almost certainly something other than simply hidden moneys. But yes, lots of foreign, evidently.
  • Wonder why the delta b/w this and M*. M* is as of end March, but then so is USNews, it says. Hmm.

• as of 06/30/14
    US Government-Related1 -15.00
    Mortgage 40.00
    US Credit2 13.00
    Non-U.S. Developed 30.00
    Emerging Markets 30.00
    Other3 1.00
    Money Market and Net Cash Equivalents4 1.00

PONDX As of 3/31 courtesy of CHUCK: Domestic net 61% Foreign net 59% Shorting cash -- Looks like their moving & groovin (turnover)
  • edited July 2014
    PONDX moves monies as needed. From recall, about 1-1.5 years ago, the overwhelming major of the fund was invested in one form or another in the U.S. mortgage areas.
    I fully trust the manager's and their abilities over the past severval years of our holding the cousin fund of PIMIX. This remains one of our largest bond holdings.
    Derf's note above about holdings is from the "mothership" web site. No need to check M* first? Pimco's web site has a decent layout to obtain their data.
  • edited July 2014
    Right, shoulda gone there, thanks; just more used to googling quickly and also to using M*. Concur in your take about manager abilities. I have recently put quite a bit nearterm moneys (quite a bit for me, that is) into PDI in addition, and those managers too show great ability and consistency.
  • Neither one get me going, but I am very cautious with all PIMCO bond funds at this time. Probably nothing to cause it, but Happy Valley seems stranger and stranger all the time. But then you have a choice between Mr. Gross' company and Mr. Gundlach's company, neither one of which am I a fan.
  • edited July 2014
    FYI, the figures Pimco puts on the fund pages under the Portfolio tab are apparently "duration weighted exposure" (DWE). The market value weighting is found with DWE on the monthly spreadsheet (Document tab, scroll down to "Pimco Funds Portfolio Statistics Report").

There you'll find the same figures as Derf quoted listed as "DWE" (duration weighted exposure), alongside market weight, which is what probably most of us are used to seeing. MW is listed as 54 mortgage, 24 U.S. credit, 21 developed ex-U.S., 17 EM, 1 other, and -17 cash & gov't.

So on a market value basis, foreign is 38%, with 17% total fund leverage.
  • yw, dm. Those DWE figures on the web site confused me for a while ... they don't label or footnote them as such.