Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Global Balanced with E merging Markets exposure

I'm trying to find one. At BoFA Merrill Lynch NTF would be super. Not having much luck. In case someone can help...

Comments

• edited June 2014
    About a year old. Firm has solid history in E M bonds.I have a small position.

TCW Emerg Mkts Multi-Asst Opps N TGMEX
    % Developed Markets 31.89
    % Emerging Markets 68.11

Non US Stock 57.63
    Non US Bond 36.22
    Argentine/Ukraine/Russian holdings have added to risk profile.Opportunity?
  • edited June 2014
    @VintageFreak
    Oh, so you have decided to pull the plug on the Calamos fund.

Just brainstorming here---and this would take a bit extra due diligence--- but why not just cobble together several funds to get what you want? We've been waiting a long time for a good world allocation, with reasonable expenses, and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. In the proportions that you chose, then:

First Eagle Global (your original musing, NTF+NL @ Schwab, if I recall right) +
    Seafarer Growth & Income +
    TGMEX, or FTEMX perhaps
  • Not @ BoA/Merrill, but would you consider setting an allocation between DODWX and DODLX? Both have significant EM exposure right now.
  • Yeah, I want to pull the plug on CVLOX, but not getting anywhere.
    And no Dodge & Cox. Trying to only keep assets at brokerages. DODWX I sold last year.
    First Eagle is looking promising right about now.
    I need to research TCW. Not sure whether Gundlach was right or TCW. Want to stay away from fund companies with baggage if I can help it. Nothing good comes out of it.
  • Hmmm ... thin pickins. I screen Morningstar for funds that met three criteria: at least 15% EM, at least 15% US and at least 15% bonds. By their calculation, about six funds qualified:

CCA Core Return (CORAX) - same unwarranted $100k minimum as the institutional shares
    Dreyfus Satellite Alpha (DSAAX) - with under a million AUM, the satellite will soon ...
    Invesco Global Targeted Returns (GLTAX)
    Midas Perpetual (MPERX) - "perpetual what?" you might well ask.
    Pioneer Multi-Asset Real Return (PMARX) - arguably the best of them
    RPG Diversified Risk Parity (DRPAX) - an "oh, so not" fund of ETFs
    USAA Real Return (USRRX) - at least it's tame.

My predilection would be to look at Leuthold Global (GLBLX). It's light on emerging markets now (9% or so, still well above the group norm) but has the flexibility to move in when conditions warrant.

Too, remember that any portfolio with global blue chips will be deriving near to half of its revenue from the emerging markets.

For what that's worth,

David
  • GAOAX, jpmorgan global allocation - risk profile of 60/40 stocks/bonds; at least 40% of non-US, usually with EME and EMD exposures (might reduce if don't like the space). don't know re merrill's platform, but is NTF, no load at Fido.
  • edited June 2014
    I think I should focus on finding replacement for CVLOX first. SGENX is bloated and is not really an "allocation" fund. Its designation by M* is due to its hefty cash position. Its sibling FEBAX seems to fit the bill better with its bond holdings.

I think I'm going to buy FEBAX at Schwab where I hold CVLOX.
  • I Wanted To Buy FEBEX, But It Is a Load Fund At FIDO, So I Bought SGHIX Instead. Good Luck With FEBAX, I Think Its a Good Fund To Hold.