Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What do you think about these funds?

Hi guys!
Long time since last post….I have a couple of questions for you.

I have two (2) health funds (FPHAX and FSPHX). They seem to track differently on days when the health sector is soft. I am looking to add LOGSX and get rid of FSPHX … looking for lower beta or less volatility… what do you think?

What do you think about Berix? I have a Fidio Brokerage Account, so I would have to pay $50 to get it (which I don’t like). But it looks so good and I would take it into retirement with me.

I have bought MLP’s with Fidelity in a 401 brokerage account. Has anybody had any of these over the years and how bad are they when interest rates go up a few points? I have GASFX, so I see what it does over time in the marketplace, but I have no experience with MLP’s.

Looking for an upgrade from WPFRX for a similar reason: lower beta. Have been looking at WPVLX for some time…..any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Comments

• edited June 2014
    WPVLX. Hard to argue with success. Almost 30% in cash right now. I dunno how long the cash-stake has been so high. Worth investigating. Everything you read recently says the Market is offering no bargains. Do you want to buy here? Or wait for a pullback. That BIG cash-stake will cushion a fall, when it happens. So it won't dive as far as many others. ..........No distributions to shareholders since 2009? Find out WHY. Morningstar really like the fund.
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=WPVLX

Compare BERIX with PRWCX and MAPOX.... BERIX is great, but maybe TOO conservative? All of those three are balanced: stocks AND bonds.
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/berix/f?t=BERIX
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/prwcx/f?t=PRWCX (closing soon to new investors.)
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/mapox/f?t=mapox
  • Puddnhead said:

Hi guys!
    Long time since last post….I have a couple of questions for you.

I have two (2) health funds (FPHAX and FSPHX). They seem to track differently on days when the health sector is soft. I am looking to add LOGSX and get rid of FSPHX … looking for lower beta or less volatility… what do you think?

What do you think about Berix? I have a Fidio Brokerage Account, so I would have to pay $50 to get it (which I don’t like). But it looks so good and I would take it into retirement with me.

I have bought MLP’s with Fidelity in a 401 brokerage account. Has anybody had any of these over the years and how bad are they when interest rates go up a few points? I have GASFX, so I see what it does over time in the marketplace, but I have no experience with MLP’s.

Looking for an upgrade from WPFRX for a similar reason: lower beta. Have been looking at WPVLX for some time…..any ideas?

Thanx in advance

I'm not seeing much compelling about LOGSX at first glance, but I could certainly be missing something. FSPHX has been a solid performer.

I own HQL, which has a very nice yield, although it may vary in the future. The thing I like about HQL (and sister HQH) is that they can invest a pretty significant amount in private equity.

MLPs and other interest rate sensitive equities are going to be hit when interest rates start moving - there was certainly a hit on many of them when there was a move in rates in 2013. That turned out to be a buying opportunity for many of these names. There continues to be a lot of questions as to whether or not rates will stay low for much longer than expected, but either way, I own MLPs (and REITs) with a long-term perspective and will just continue to reinvest divs.

• @puddnhead
    I will comment a bit on you hc holdings, I also have more than one fund in this sector. I have FBTIX, PHSZX and PJP. The first one is mostly biotech, second is a combo and i added the etf since neither of the funds had much in your basic large pharma. You may be looking more at volatility than how it fits into your portfolio, as the live oak fund and fido select seem pretty similar. Check out PJP as anotherpossibiltyto add to the mix.
  • Have always wanted to own BERIX but did not want to pay Fido charge either, so tried to dupe it combining FSICX, PONDX, GLRBX, AO_ group, and so on.
  • BERIX Is a Unique Fund - It Wont Shoot The Lites Out, But It Also Will Not Sink Like a Rock, Its a Good Sleep At Nite Fund - Good Managers, Low Expenses, Unique Investing Style, Low Expenses - I Wish There Were More Funds Like It, Because I would Invest In Them!!! Please Do Yourself A Favor And Buy It, Then Dont Tell Anyone Else About It So It Does Not Get Asset Bloat!
  • Hi Crash!
    I saw high cash….looks good now. Will only buy on pullback….have little cash now….that’s why I’m looking to sell WPFRX. I rode R2K (Russell 2000) hard last year….looking to get rid of mid caps and small caps. MAPOX - would cost $50. PRWCX - also $50 fee with Fidelity. Also, I can’t find any information on PRWCX at Fidelity (tried to research it). But I like the look of MAPOX. Better bonds than BERIX….like that. Thank you for your time.
  • Hi Scott!
    FSPHX - had nice run in 2013. This year, it nose-dived earlier. I guess, to put it simply, its about too much beta (ups and downs). This fund was great last year…..can it perform as well 2 years running…..I don’t know. Looking more for slow and sure…..I guess healthcare is where its at, but I want a sleeper. I think LOGSX might be that….less biotech (4.8% bio) and more Obama (what he pushes is where their money will follow). What do you think? Also, fund is small (less than $50 million) … nimble maybe versus $5.5 billion and 30% bio. Less beta I guess is what I’m looking for. Hope this makes sense…..the Puddnhead might have had one too many beers…..

Now, for interest rates: lower is where we’re going. See Europe, Japan and China as the new normal (lol!). But I think he’s right about that stuff …..it isn’t all that good, the talking heads say, because everybody has their own agenda. Where I work, we went to 10% temp work force. Since 2000, anyone hired after that gets NO pension. Things have changed, so now I believe we are going lower as far as interest rates go. As for MLP, I can’t find a better way to play fracking...so this is my energy part of my portfolio.
  • Hi David!

Well, moron me….to just let $50 stand in the way (brings out the Amish in me!). I have GLRBX and I like it. I’m not into bonds now…..it’s that short of cash thing. I need to sell something.
  • Ducrow,
    You must have read my mind…..I think I will after all. Thanx be to all!!!
  • @Puddnhead

This link will take you to Fido and the PRWCX info you seek.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Puddnhead said:

Hi Crash!
    I saw high cash….looks good now. Will only buy on pullback….have little cash now….that’s why I’m looking to sell WPFRX. I rode R2K (Russell 2000) hard last year….looking to get rid of mid caps and small caps. MAPOX - would cost $50. PRWCX - also $50 fee with Fidelity. Also, I can’t find any information on PRWCX at Fidelity (tried to research it). But I like the look of MAPOX. Better bonds than BERIX….like that. Thank you for your time.

Here you go::)
    (From Fidelity:) https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/77954M105

• edited June 2014
    wpfrx has succession issues. I hold in my IRA and will sell when manager leaves unless I find an alternative. I do not see how WPVLX is an alternative to WPFRX and I have learnt that Weitz does nothing spectacular for managing risk. So its 30% cash stake is surprising. Not to mention Weitz has succession issues.

Succession issues are important when manager name is literally or figuratively on the door. It is not to be taken lightly. Buyer Beware.
  • Hi Vintage Freak,

I am surprised that anyone owns this fund. I bought it in 2010 when I opened the brokerage ACL along with CHTTX, YAFFX, and FSCRX. Did well until the downturn in 2011. Has been slow since, and I have nothing against that. It’s just the swings it has for the quiet fund that it is sometimes get to me. And I agree a small company …. WHO will take it over??
  • PRWCX is no min/NTF at Ameritrade, if it hasn't closed already (forgot when it does.)
  • I think it was mentioned here at MFO very recently: PRWCX closes at the end of June. But don't quote me.
  • I'm too old to think, just kidding, but I don't track every movement in my funds, I'm just looking for decent returns vs benchmarks so I hold an ETF, VHT has done very well.
  • Thanks, Crash!
    I took a look….two (2) things at $20 billion too big and it’s going to close. YAFFX just closed hard! It has $8.5 billion….I do like MAPOX on my short buy list on pullback.

Yes, Ron, sometimes I do this too much. My wife says this too…..and about other things, too. So I say, “Sweetie, want to have sex (lol!)?” That ends that discussion. I’ve learned a lot over the years being married.
    The Puddn
  • @Puddnhead: Over analysis, leads to paralysis Don't just stand there, do something !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi, Ted!
    You’re right…..I got so excited I ran out the back door and jumped in the pool….beat the dog by a step and a half, yessir! A man of action I am!
    Sorry,...I just couldn’t stop myself. My wife says, “One too many….and, will you ever learn?” Women! No sense of humor! Ok, being serious…..you are quite right. I do overthink sometimes. Haven’t done much since January….was busy then. Bought GAINX -- toehold; GLFOX and NMFIX -- bought 2….1 just didn’t seem enough. Like Dennis Gartman, I want something that hurts when you drop it on your foot. I think he should drop something on his head so he doesn’t talk so much, but I digress…..
    The most I put money into is MLPs, GLPAX, LCPAX, MLOZX. I don’t understand everything about MLPs, but I know I want to be there. So I guess you could say little cash, lots of talk. Sort of like the Fed when you’re out of bullets….
    The Puddn