Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Replacement for UMBMX

I'm looking for a mid cap blend/growth fund to replace Scout Mid Cap, which is a half decent fund but a bit too volatile for my liking. I prefer something a bit more tame with a lower SD, competitive ER and equal or better SR. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Scout is one of the fund families that typically beats average category returns.

• edited May 2014
    UMBMX has actually been pretty tame (on the downside) for an equity fund since its inception, while more than doubling SP500 total returns...I'd consider it better than "half decent":

• UMBMX is a core holding for many of our client accounts. It's hard to find much fault with this one. Strong management, too. WASIX is another one you might consider. It owns an even more concentrated portfolio, though. But it has a dividend yield of 2.72%, which is very decent.

• Thank you for the charts and input. It sure feels more volatile to me. Maybe I'm getting a weak stomach with this run up.
  • Charles,
    Am I able to generate the chart you did by using the Mutual Fund Observer's tools? If so, can you point me in the right direction. I don't seem to be able to find it.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi DGoodrow. Working on updating MFO tools to include all these data (life time and full cycle rankings), even for all share classes...not just oldest (thanks to a good suggestion from Accipiter). Hit a bump in road recently, but hoping to work through it. Will post soonest.
  • Some to consider:

AKREX Akre Focus (holds some larger firms as well)
    ACRNX Columbia Acorn Fund (may be difficult to access, but there are many other classes of this fund) Bloated, but well run
    GRSPX Greenspring - value bent blend fund with busted convertibles. Good risk managment.
    LCORX Leuthold Core ("conservative" tactical asset allocation)
    ICMBX Interpid Capital (value bent)
    NBGNX Neuberger Berman Genesis
    BUFTX Buffalo Discovery (heavy in tech and healthcare)
  • OSTFX, FAMEX and FAMVX are steady funds that might fit the bill.
  • Take a look at PYSAX. You can get it load-waived at Schwab.