Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seeking foreign small cap fund recommendation.

Long time reader first time poster. I am debating between Brandes International Small Cap Equity Fund (BISMX), Pear Tree Polaris Foreign Value Small Cap Fund (QUSOX) and Oakmark International Small Cap (OAKEX). I would appreciate any thoughts on these or other funds you may prefer. Thanks!

Comments

• I spent a long time looking at OBIOX
  • If you have access to load funds but don't have to pay a load, check out OSMYX, Oppenheimer's offering. Can be volatile, but strong returns. I bought i towards the end of 2013. New manager, but strong team behind him and the fund is 15 years +
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Both seem like solid offerings with a strong growth bent. I am trying to find a value or blend fund. Growth has had a great run in EM and I am more of a value investor by inclination.
  • slick said:

If you have access to load funds but don't have to pay a load

What are the most common ways to get access to load funds without having to pay the load?

• edited April 2014
    @rjb112,

I have an account with Merrill Lynch, and I pay fee for assets under management, but its fairly reasonable (under 1%) and I get access to some closed funds, institutional shares of funds and load funds without fees. Also don't pay a fee to buy and sell etfs or stocks. Not for everyone, but I like having someone looking over my shoulder, my advisor has saved me from selling a few times when I thought it would be a good idea:)
  • edited April 2014
    Fidelity and other brokerages waive the loads on some funds' A shares.
    rjb112 said:

What are the most common ways to get access to load funds without having to pay the load?

• I also prefer value investing. When and if Grandeur Peaks opens their 'Fallen Angels' fund I fully expect to go there for all my small cap exposure. In the meantime, I own QUSOX for foreign small cap. Like Polaris as a company, and a low volatility international small cap fund seems a contradiction in terms.
  • Not a fan of filling style boxes. But QUSOX has a great team. We have used QFVIX and been very happy with it, more of a multi-cap fund at this point.
  • Another one to check out if you are able to avoid the load is LCOAX.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look I to them for sure. I also thought about VSS but it does not seem indexing will beat active in this area.
  • edited April 2014
    David's profiled recommendations in foreign small/mid equity categories (FPIVX, DRIOX, OBIOX):