Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Yes, Latin Am technicals have improved significantly. Bought some today. Too soon to say if it will be a real uptrend. Confirmed by oil but not yet by commodities in general. Suspect this is related to easing of China concerns.

EM bonds have also established an upward trend. Bought significantly into them over this week.
  • edited March 2014
    cman - Which EM bond funds are you buying? Nice moves into EM.
  • @Fund Student: Normally I would let Catch22 officially welcome you to the world's greatest Mutual Fund Discussion Board, but he's busy building his bond ark to ward off the flood of equities that might destroy his fund house. However, before you become a dues paying member of MFO you must assume the position. Welcome Aboard !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Assume The Position: Animal House;

• cman - Which EM bond funds are you buying? Nice moves into EM.

Combination of FNMIX and EMB in different accounts.
  • I'll add TGINX for consideration.
  • edited March 2014
    bee said
    I'll add TGINX for consideration.
    You may also want to add DoubleLine Emerging Markets Fixed Inc N
    DLENX to your list.

Also as to cman's oil observation:
    Thursday, Mar 27
    11:55 AM Seeking Alpha
    Investors shifting cash into energy ETFs on expectations of oil gains

Investors are pouring money into energy companies, putting 7x as much into energy sector ETFs as they did last quarter and betting that profits of energy producers rise along with crude oil and natural gas prices.
    Energy collecting new money reflects optimism for a turnaround in companies like Exxon Mobil (XOM), XLE's biggest holding, but the bet may not pay off, as analysts generally foresee lower global oil prices in 2014 and gains in gas.
    ETFs focusing on oil and gas companies have captured 20% of the $10B in net inflows into ETFs this year, after hauling in only 2.5% of fresh money last quarter and 7.7% in all of 2013.
    ETFs: ERX, OIH, VDE, ERY, FCG, XOP, DIG, DUG, GASL, XES, IYE, IEO, IEZ, GASX, PXE, PXJ, PXI, PSCE, FENY, FXN, RYE, DDG
  • In Michael Aronstein's Marketfield Management's commentary dated Jan.27th,2014 ( perhaps ancient history based on the way markets move today), Mr. Aronstein is not impressed with the immediate prospects for developing market economies and lists some reasons. I have no idea if he has the correct point of view , I just know he was respected by most folks pre-asset bloat and one should at least consider his points. I am in awe of Ted the Linkster's abilities but am severely lacking in his speciality. If you google Mainstay Marketfield Annual Report, December 31,2013 you should find the 27 January commentary.
  • From what I'm reading the shorts (smart money) that exist in the oil sector may be hedging for a drop in oil prices:
    crude_oil_commercial_traders_bet_on_decline/