Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TDPIX. A New 3D Printing Mutual Fund.

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Talk about sectors, it will be interesting to see the sales figures on this offering. Now if they only had a beef cattle mutual fund.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/3d-printing-technology-fund-launched-130000968.html;_ylt=A0SO8yNH0OpS3isAwcZx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTB1ZWVzZm5vBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA01PVVMxMDVfMQ--

Comments

• Yuh. They contacted me. They'll invest only in "pure play" 3D and additive manufacturing stocks. The list is here: https://3dprintingstocks.com/3d-printing-stock-index/. Per that list, there are seven stocks to choose among.
  • Uh, what? Maybe an ETF, but a mutual fund? I think 3D printing is awfully interesting, but I think this mutual fund 1:) makes me wonder if the time for 3D printing in terms of investing is over and 2:) I just don't see this having interest and would have done way better as an ETF.
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Well ! Well !, another one of niche funds. The thing I can say for certain about this in a year or so it will be.............so long
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @scott: I think you are correct, it would be more suited as an ETF. Then in about a year 3D would show up on Ron Rowland's ETF Death List
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @scott: Imagine one of those companies having a bad day and not being able to trade out of it like a ETF. Not for me.
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @JohnChisum: Watching "Counting Cars" the other day and they were looking for an old part. Finding the actual old part: a grand. Printing it on a 3D printer. About $100. Stuff like that (and a lot of other things) are really potentially interesting. Organovo (ONVO) is another - "Organovo Holdings, Inc. develops three-dimensional (3D) bioprinting technology for creating functional human tissues on demand for research and medical applications. The company’s 3D NovoGen bioprinting technology works across various tissue and cell types, and allows for the placement of cells in desired pattern. It offers NovoGen MMX Bioprinter, a commercial hardware and software bioprinter platform to create tissues for bioprinting research and development. The company was founded in 2007 and is based in San Diego, California."

To me, it's really a long-term theme. Day-to-day, these stocks are going to trade all over the place (Organovo is hugely volatile.)

That said, people are going to want to trade these names and a lot of retail investors may not want to drop $2,500 - it's the kind of speculative thing that some people may just want to buy a bit of.

Plus, 7 names?
  • Reply to @scott: No doubt this is a big thing going forward. For whatever reasons, I am reminded of the Bruce Willis movie Surrogates. This could make that possible. Will that be our future labor force?

Or, dating myself further here, Logans Run and the Farrah Fawcett clinic.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: You can be whatever you want to be.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Fortunately my system blocks those videos. However, my response, "I Gotta Be Me by Sammy Davis Jr. Great song.
  • edited January 2014
    Jay Leno, July 2009. This story is related to a tv program he did regarding the 3D printer for making parts for one of his old steam powered autos. Being an auto fan, I happen to be watching the program

My guess would be towards Mr. Leno having some cash invested in this area from 4 years ago.
  • JohnChisum ,

Thanks for initiating the post on 3 D printers.

Folks - what do you think about this fund that invests only in 3 D printers? I know it is too concentrated. I have been following 3D stocks for the last 9 months or so. Looks like there is very high potential in future.

I am just trying to get opinions. That's all.

Regards
    nath
  • Reply to @bnath001: I would look for funds that include this technology in their holdings rather than this sector alone. In his comment above, David says there was only seven stocks. That is very focused. I'm sure others here will have some funds for you to consider.
  • This may not be a scam legally but it stinks to high heaven. The portfolio managers who seem like relatives never seem to have managed a mutual fund before or even worked in the financial industry. They work for a company called MediaBistro that organizes trade shows in 3D printing and are going to remain working there as CEO and BD executive. The lead portfilio manager also runs a 3D printing trade show which smacks of conflicts of interest with the companies they will be investing in...

I think it is simply a way for the family to get a revenue stream as long as they can attract resources or they are a front for whoever will be managing the fund. Have no idea what the regulators really do to approve new funds.

Stay away.
  • thanks for sharing your opinion cman.

Regards
    Nath
  • Reply to @bnath001: I'd pick one and put a little money in it with the idea that it's a long-term holding, because stocks like this are incredibly volatile in the short-term.

Additionally, I agree with Cman's comments below.