Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

posting of portfolio holdings and returns

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
I do not know if this has any value for you, but it did for me. I wanted to see how my portfolio holdings did compared to its benchmark in my retirement accounts, which account for 62% of my holdings. There are no bonds in this listing, since all of my bonds are in my taxable account, all munis. So basically this portfolio is 100% equities (I did not go into each fund to determine its bond exposure) There are 15 funds, plus cash, FPACX, MWLIX, OSTIX held in taxable account along with 5 strong dividend stocks. Now, I did not have all of these all funds and stocks throughout 2013, but did have some of them. I did inherit a portfolio, combined it with mine and made changes throughout the year. Took profits on some, loss on others (like GLD) and dollar cost averaged in for the stocks and funds. I know one year does not give me a definitive picture, but it does tell me how my porfolio works together, at least for 2013. I do not anticipate major changes in 2014 except for selling half of ABEMX and putting it into WAIGX and taking profits or losses in a few stocks when the time comes. I have stop losses on my best ones. You may notice some duplication, such as VIG and VDIGX, but could not add to the fund at Meriil Lynch, so bought its cousin.

I also calculated if I had this portfolio in SPY how it would compare. No doubt it would have done better, but not by as much as I thought. I doubt anyone on MFO would have put everything into the S + P 500, but it was interesting to calculate.

If so inclined, would love to see some others and how they did. I am very pleased with my results, as my retirement portfolio gained 20% overall in 2013. How did you do?

M* = Mornngstar 2013 return
bench= benchmark

Im afraid this did not post as a table as I expected, hope you can make sense of it:) If someone knows why, let me know.

stocks- IRAs , ETFs IRA M*ret. bench difference

MMM 3M 54 43 11
AMLP Alps Alerian MLP 18 23 -5
BBBY Bed Bath Beyond 44 43 1
BGS B + G Foods 24 28 -4
COST Costco 22 20 2
DTN Wisdom Tree Div ex fin. 28 30 -2
DVY Ishares Select Div 29 32 -3
F Ford 22 31 -9
GILD Gilead 104 58 46
JPM JP Morgan Chase 36 23 13
KMP Kinder Morgan Partners 8 25 -17
LECO Lincoln Electric 48 27 21
MCD McDonalds 14 30 -16
PJP Powershares Pharma 56 45 11
PKW Powershares Buyback 46 32 14
RHS Guggenhein Cons. Staples 33 27 6
TESS Tessco Technologies 85 42 43
TRV Travellers Insurance 29 32 -3
UTX United Technologies 41 43 -2
UNP Union Pacific 36 41 -5
VIG Vanguard Div Appreciat. 27 32 -5
VLO Valero Energy 64 37 27
VNQ Vanguard Real Estate 2 2 0
XLP Sector Spyder Consumer 26 27 -1

Funds IRAs
ABEMX Aberdeen Emerg Mark -7 0 -7
ARTGX Artisan Global Value 31 25 6
FBTIX Fidelity Biotech 64 48 16
FRUAX Franklin Utilities 14 18 4
FSCRX Fidelity Small Cap Disc 38 37 1
ISTIX Ivy Tech and Science 52 35 17
MMUIX MFS Utilities 20 18 2
ODVYX Oppenheimer Dev Mkts 9 0 9
OAKIX Oakmark Intl 30 23 7
OYEIX Oppenheimer Eq Inc 32 32 0
PHSZX Prudential Jenn Health 56 48 8
SMGIX Columbia Contrarian 36 32 4
VDIGX Vanguard Div Growth 32 32 0
VPCCX Vanguard Prime Cap 36 32 4
WAGTX Wasatch World Innov. 34 25 11

Comments

• Not going to post the whole portfolio but my core portfolio (substantially most of net worth) which is a globally diversified moderate allocation ending the year at 60% equities, 25% bonds and 15% cash gained about 14% for the year which I expect would be about average for moderate allocation that is not US equities biased.

The much smaller play money portfolio that uses only leveraged funds using trends and TA had a good year with a gain of about 44%. I will likely increase the allocation to this pot by about 10% for 2014.

Returns like this are difficult to make sense of without being normalized for risk taken as they can vary quite a bit. Risk-adjusted returns are difficult to calculate to compare meaningfully or how they might do in down years.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi slick and others,

For the year my portfolio had a total return of about 14.50% with a year end target asset allocation of about 20% cash, 25% income, 45% equity and 10% alternatives. In comparison the Lipper Balanced Index had a return of 16.4% and under the Yardstick measure a balanced fund return 14.3% while stock and bond funds came in at 12.7%. For information my portfolio holds about 50 funds and had only two funds that had a negative year. They were THIFX (-0.1%) and JCRAX (-5.6%). A fund that it holds which was a topic on the board this year PASAX finished the year in the positive with a return of only 0.2%. As I write I don’t have the portfolio’s final distribution yield but it will be north of five percent and perhaps even approach six percent. I should have it within the next few days as I have some fund distributions not yet received in the portfolio. Over the past five years it has had an average annual total return of 16.5% as I held less cash in prior years when the stocks were at lower valuations and P/E Ratios and, by my thinking, less risky.

In the Income Area of my portfolio the best performing fund within my fixed income sleeve was NEFZX with a return of 10.8%. The best performing fund in my hybrid income sleeve was AZNAX with a return of 18.8%.

In the Growth & Income Area of my portfolio the best performing fund within the global equity sleeve was CWGIX with a return of 24.8% and in the global hybrid sleeve the best performing fund was TIBAX with a return of 16.5%. In the domestic equity sleeve the best performing fund was FDSAX with a return of 39.9% and in the domestic hybrid sleeve the best performing fund was DDIAX with a return of 19.9%.

In the Growth Area of my portfolio the best performing fund within the global, international & emerging market sleeve was THOAX with a return of 28.2%. In the domestic large/mid cap sleeve it was VADAX with a return of 35.3%. In the domestic small/mid cap sleeve the best performing fund was IIVAX with a return of 36.0%. And, in the specialty sleeve the best performing fund was LPEFX with a return of 41.3%.

With this, I am a most happy investor.

I wish all … “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet

• Another approach is to use M* portfolio X-ray tool, which is available free from T. Rowe Price. Registration is required. The tool provides the overall cost (from MF), breakdown of US vs international equities (large and small), bonds, cash, and so forth. Another useful feature is the individual stock exposure which is indicative of MF overlap - a place to start trimming.
    individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Planning-&-Research/Tools-&-Resources
  • Reply to @Sven:

I actually use Morningstar xray, put my funds through it, and some overlap , but minimal, to my surprise. The one etf I may dump is DTN, but the DVY, VIG have little overlap since DVY has more mid cap than VIG. RHS and XLP also do not overlap as much as you would think. I wanted more of the VDIGX, but cannot buy it through Merrill Lynch, so added OYEIX instead.
  • Reply to @slick: Glad to hear you are finding the tool useful. We use VIG in our taxable account and VDIGX in tax deferred accounts.

Years ago I manage my parent's retirement accounts through Merrill Lynch, but we moved to Vanguard for many reasons. Now we are paying less than 30% of the total in fee.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi again Slick.

A couple ways to do this...

I trust you are starting with an Excel-like spreadsheet.

I typically capture the image using Jing and Screencast, which I learned from bee, then post on the board. (See previous discussion: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/comment/28947.)

Here are your two tables using that method:

Or, you could simply upload the file using the "Attach a file" link on bottom of board, see sheet icon below.

Finally, a method I'm liking more and more is to use Google Sheets. You can publish as static web page or actually share the spreadsheet itself using several collaborative/interactive levels:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvytEEP5ux8-dDhfMHgyREtnOC1lRHRqVEpMMGsyeGc&output=html

or

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvytEEP5ux8-dDhfMHgyREtnOC1lRHRqVEpMMGsyeGc&usp=sharing
    xls
    xls
    slicks_table.xls
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet:
    Thanks for sharing Old_Skeet.

nath
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Charles:

Thanks Charles, wish I could replace this table with the one I did that did not translate well to the board. Thanks for doing this!