Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Very Best 2013 Investing Article?

MJG
edited December 2013 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

What was the very best investment advice did you receive in a 2013 financial article?

I know, I know it is a nearly impossible question to answer with any certainty. I didn’t even read all the fine articles that MFO’s Ted reliably posted. But that doesn’t dissuade me for offering my nominee for that distinction. I invite you to do likewise.

My candidate for the 2013 honor is awarded to Jason Zweig. In general, all his articles are carefully composed and well worth any time commitment. I particularly liked his WSJ June 28 Intelligent Investor piece titled “Saving Investors from Themselves”.

It is a wonderful article that couples several noteworthy investment principles with some background material of his early development and writing goals. Here is a Link to this super article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/06/28/the-intelligent-investor-saving-investors-from-themselves/

Please take time to access this reflective, distinguished, and illuminating article. Here are a few memorable gems that I extracted from it.

“ . . . . people who receive frequent news updates on their investments earn lower returns than those who get no news.”

“Benjamin Graham, wrote in The Intelligent Investor in 1949: “The investor’s chief problem – and even his worst enemy – is likely to be himself.”

“I long ago concluded that regression to the mean is the most powerful law in financial physics.”

“Approximately 99% of the time, the single most important thing investors should do is absolutely nothing.”

The Behavioral wizards interpret what I am doing is expressing my Confirmation Bias since I believe and attempt to follow these words of wisdom. That’s likely very true. Regardless, I am committed to Zweig’s investing philosophy and practice it to a large extent. I have now registered my candidate.

Now it’s your turn on the hot seat. What is your candidate for the best financial and/or investment article that you enjoyed in 2013? It doesn’t matter if it has been credited in an earlier post. What do you say?

Please cast your vote.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Comments