Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Merry Christmas

edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
Howdy good people,

Hope your holidays are safe, warm and happy.

peace,

rono

Comments

• Dear Ron: I was waiting for this. Merry Christmas !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Merry Christmas!! to you, Ron.

And Merry Christmas to all of MFO!!!
  • Thank you. Same to you all.
  • Merry Christmas Ron, enjoyed your carrolling to us:)
  • Wishing all a happy Christmas and a good new year. This has been a great year for MFO- special thanks to Chip, Charles, Accipiter, and of course David. You folks are incredibly devoted, and it's both noticed and appreciated!
  • Reply to @Mindy:

very cute:)
  • Merry Christmas to all at MFO.
  • edited December 2013
    It's time again to bring this back towards the front.

Merry Christmas Everyone ... Your Christmas card is linked below.

http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/preview/flash/bws8Shell_fps24.swf?ihost=http://ak.imgag.com/imgag&brandldrPath=/product/full/el/&cardNum=/product/full/ap/3166187/graphic1

Old_Skeet

• edited December 2013
    Santa brought me a shiny new red snow blower a month ago. It hasn't stopped snowing since. Lesson: Be careful what you wish for. Merry Christmas to all, hank
  • Hi hank, I saw on the news that your area has had a big winter storm ... I have been thinking of you, rono and catch22. I wish my northern friends on the board the very best. It'd be nice if those in the effected areas would check in. Rono runs stand by generation ... but, I don't know about Catch 22.

Old_Skeet
  • Howdy,

Thanks for the kind words. We got slammed. Lots of folks are still w/o power. Drag on the Eve. Ours was out for about 24 hours, but I've got a 17K Generac so I don't worry as much. You can't live out in the sticks without system redundancy for your basic needs.

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: Hi Skeet. A foot of snow fell Sunday - which is easy to clear with the equipment we have. In our area we're accustomed to being "snowbound" without plowed roads for 24 hour stretches. No big deal. We also have backup heat and generator. Sounds like the southern part of the state (where Catch & Rono reside) got freezing rain instead of the heavy snow - much nastier as it tends to snap branches and bring down power lines. Take Care down there Skeet and thanks for the thoughts. Regards
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Hank and rono,

Glad to learn you two are doing ok. I have been in winter ice storms in the Carolinas and without utility grid power myself. I put standby generation in about ten years ago since I live in a historical 100+ year old neighborhood in Charlotte. The neighborhood has been without power at times for up to two weeks due to powerlines being down form their poles. One was when hurricane Hugo came through in 1989 and another during the Great December Ice Storm of 2002. So, like you, I've got my back up systems now. When severe thunderstorms move through form time-to-time we at times lose power and unless it is a big storm power it is usually restored in less than a day.

I too have the 17K Generac unit, as rono, and if I had it to do over I would opt for the 15K unit as it uses less natural gas per hour of run time. To get that extra 2K unit of power output the natural gas consumption really increases. My gernerator powers my subpanel plus the central air & gas furnace. With this everything will come back up in a utility power outage the exception being the electric stove and clothes dryer. We use the microwave and a hot plate to cook food when the power is out and have a gas hot water heater and gas logs in the fire place for additional heating backup. So I am in good shape during most power outages both summer and winter much as you as long as the old generator keeps on keeping on.

Perhaps Catch 22 and others will check in soon.

Merry Christmas,
    Old_Skeet