Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Predicting a fund NAV during the trading hours - any calculator there?

edited November 2013 in Fund Discussions
Happy Thanks giving folks!!

If we know the entire positions of a mutual fund, is it possible to guestimate approximate NAV of that fund?

Are there any websites to do that?

Thanks
regards
nath

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Dear nath,

I do believe one of these will work. But if none of them do, than I'd say It can't be done.
    Mindy

http://www.ehow.com/hobbies-games/science-nature/numerology/
  • Hi nath,

Intraday indicative values are available for equity ETFs, but not for OEFs. To get an idea of how OEFs are performing intraday, I like to go to the yahoo finance fund holdings, then click on the "get quotes for top 10 holdings."

Kevin
  • About 10 years ago, there was a web site fundestimate.com that did what you want, but they are no longer operating.
  • thanks Mozart325.

Mindy, I looked at the link you provided. I coulnd't find it.

:)
  • beebee
    edited November 2013
    Reply to @kevindow:
    M* will give you the 25 holdings (if you trust their fund holding updates)...go to M*, enter ticker, click on Portfolio tab, then holdings tab, then Equity Price tab. Doing this at about 3:30 p.m. est. leave enough time to trade.

An ETF index such as SPY is a great way to compare a mutual fund like VFINX, or say QQQ for USNQX (NASDAQ 100), but it might be hard to use ETFs for specialty funds such as FAIRX that is very concentrated with only 6 stocks (making up 90% of the funds NAV). Low turnover funds help provide a better chance of M* portfolio data is somewhat fresh. Fund managers who have a high turnover rate would be very hard to know exactly what they are holding and therefore hard to monitor intraday accuracy.

That said, I do try to follow my mutual funds by creating a ETF portfolio at YahooFinance. I use a "mutual fund to etf" converter search engine to help me ID a close approxiamation for my "shadow etf" portfolio. This site does a pretty good job of offering ETF choices when you enter your mutual fund ticker into its search box:

etfdb.com/tool/mutual-fund-to-etf/
  • Reply to @bee:

Bee, thanks for tip about using M* data, and that etfdb tool is nice.

Kevin
  • thanks a lot Bee.

regards
    nath