Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Room For Consolidation of Bond Portfolio?

edited November 2013 in Fund Discussions
I've recently realized that I've become a bond fund collector, compiling 9 bond funds in my current portfolio. They consist of:

Dodge and Cox Income (DODIX) - 15%

Eaton Vance Bond (EVBAX) 15%

PIMCO Income (PIMIX) 15%

Baird ST Bond - (BSBIX) 15%

Principal Global Div Income (PGBAX) 10%

Met West Total Return (MWTRX) 10%

Blackrock High Yield (BHYAX) 7%

Eaton Vance Float Rate (EAFAX) 7%

Riverpark Strat Income (RSIVX) 5%

Any room for consolidation? If so, how would you restructure the bond portfolio? I'm trying to put together a fairly moderate risk portfolio with moderate income. I'm not interested in reaching for yield. Am I missing a particular area of bonds? Thanks in advance for the input.

Comments

• Would not EVBAX cover all the areas you are invested in with one fund? I am considering that move myself to this fund.
  • Well, I recently watched a fairly lengthy interview with Gaffney and she referred to her own fund as an "unconstrained" fund. It does appear that she can do almost anything, including buy equities, with EVBAX. It is load waived at Fidelity. Your idea is certainly worth considering, Art.
  • The only issue I have with EVBAX is its volatility. I'm not sure I could stomach the volatility associated with this fund if I put all my eggs in one basket.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Willmatt72,

Have you done a Instant Xray on what you have? If not, this might be something you might consider doing before making any changes.

I like the fact that you have spread your management risk around among nine funds. In addition you bring nine different perspectives into play rather than just one or that of a few.

In the income area of my portfolio I have a total of twelve funds. Six within my income sleeve and six within my hybrid income sleeve. With this, when one falters there are the others to offer support and continue to propel the sleeve.

Something you might wish to consider and think on.

I wish you the best with whatever direction you choose to venture.

Old_Skeet
  • Your diversification may be good but I'd look into trimming some of those funds that charge a load if you can find a decent equivalent.

For example, the Blackrock High Yield Fund (BHYAX)...4% load and a 0.92 ER. You might be better off in a similar fund such as T Rowe's High Yield (TRHYX)...Higher yield, slightly more duration risk but almost half the ER and no load.
  • Your subset of narrower funds (short term, floating rate, high yield) suggests either a deliberate effort to tweak what the more flexible managers (such as Gaffney - EVBAX) are doing, or that you're collecting funds and perhaps inadvertently doubling down on some portions of the bond market.

If the former is the case, you would know your target better than we. If the latter is the case, I would be inclined to drop most of the funds and let the managers do their job of finding the right corners of the market to play in.

To that end, I somewhat agree with Art - that a multisector fund such as EVBAX can cover a good portion of the market for you. But multisector bonds tend to leave gaps in their coverage of domestic investment grade bonds, and a wide ranging total bond fund can both fill the gaps and provide management diversification. (For example, EVBAX has virtually no MBS, and FWIW, no inflation-protected bonds.)

You've got a couple of such bond funds - DODIX and MWTRX. I prefer the latter, because it seems to be more flexible. From its willingness to delve into junk when propitious, to its broader range of bond types, it is the more adventurous fund. Both of these funds currently like MBSs. D&C is pretty much split between MBSs and corporate bonds now, following conventional wisdom, as it is wont to do. MetWest has traded a good chunk of corporates for Treasuries (about 2/5 of that in TIPS), taking its own path.

While one might not agree with Treasuries now (I have my doubts), this does show that MetWest has its own ideas, and its record speaks for itself. Despite M* saying it has a similar risk profile (risk ratings, volatility) to DODIX, I tend to think of the latter as more conservative, and perhaps the strongest reason why you might prefer DODIX. Either way, I would eliminate at least one of these.

Aside from EVBAX (multisector funds tend to invest a bit outside the US), the other funds with significant international bond holdings are BHYAX (junk bonds), RSIVX (same emphasis on Canadian exposure as EVBAX, and for that matter LSBDX), and PGBAX. If it didn't have such a high slug of equities (about 1/3), PGBAX would be considered a multisector fund like EVBAX (which also has equity exposure), rather than a conservative allocation fund. It's an interesting fund, but given its bond focus on global junk (35%) and emerging markets (10%), and higher portion of equities, it seems to be even further out on the risk spectrum than Eaton Vance.

To boost international bond exposure (the "tweaking" I mentioned in the first paragraph), I would be more inclined to add a dollop of a pure international fund. The purpose of the fund would be to adjust exposure, so consider its risk in that context. I'm fond of TGBAX (or GIM, its closed end "half brother"). Highly flexible - don't expect to use this to fine tune emerging market vs. developed country exposure - it varies widely here.

If you want to adjust the overall portfolio to reduce risk, I think FPA New Market Income FPNIX can fit the bill. It won't give you high returns, but it also (probably) won't lose you money. Like the other funds I've tended to favor, it is very flexible and also tends to use esoteric types of investments. But also like the other funds I've highlighted, the managers have been there for years and have proven themselves capable of dealing with these securities.

You don't have a single fund I'd dump in isolation. They're all good to excellent. That's what makes selection so interesting.
  • Reply to @kv968: Thanks for the reply. I purchased the load funds through Fidelity. Thus, they are load waived. Otherwise, I would not have bought them.
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: Yes, I purposefully tried to buy bond funds from bond houses or managers that have a good reputation and/or good performance. Thus, you can see that they are from Blackrock, Eaton Vance (Gaffney), PIMCO, Met West, etc.
  • Reply to @msf: Great post, MSF. I like your ideas and input. You are correct that I picked some of the narrower funds to mitigate risk associated with interest rate increases (floating rate, high yield) and ballast (BSBIX). I'm just curious - do you think FPNIX would be necessary if I hold BSBIX ? I actually held GIM in the past but wasn't too thrilled with the volatility. I'm not sure I can access TGBAX without the load. If you have any ideas on how to get access to it, let me know. PGBAX does seem to be the candidate most likely to leave my portfolio at this point.

i do agree that DODIX and MWTRX seem a bit redundant, but I do like their slightly different approaches as you described above.
  • Comparing FPNIX directly with BSBIX, the Baird fund seems to generally outperform FPNIX by a few basis points. But that comes at a cost - BSBIX swooned with much of the market in 2008, FPNIX didn't. (And BSBIX made up most of the difference the next year.) With BSBIX, you're getting a well managed, vanilla fund. FPNIX may place a bit more emphasis on capital preservation - it has the flexibility to move around more.

It likely won't make too much of a difference one way or the other. Looking at the yields, though, I have to wonder whether it might not make more sense to simply ladder CDs for the short end of the portfolio. One could use, say, 18 month CDs, using 5% of the money allocated to short term holdings each month to buy a CD.

For example, GE Capital Bank is currently paying 1.15% on 18 month CDs and will pay out interest monthly if you want it. Trading about 0.15% of yield for not worrying about rising rates seems worth considering. In New York, Doral Bank is paying 1.20% on a 12 month CD, and 1.25% on a 18 month CD (and will also send you the interest if you prefer).

One could open a suite of 5 year CDs at Ally Bank. These pay 1.60%, and have only a 60 day withdrawal penalty (if opened by Dec 7th). If you want to bail after a year, you'll have made about the same yield as with BSBIX (current SEC yield). For any CDs held longer, the yield is greater. That is, unless rates go up - and then one can pay the 60 day penalty and start over (or buy into a short duration bond fund then, without having lost principal). Having multiple CDs would enable you to get money out of one of them without closing all the deposits.

No matter what one does, it's hard to eek out much of a return without giving up a good measure of safety. Any differences in yield or safety among the alternative above are relatively minor (compared with, say, long term bonds).

With respect to TGBAX, try looking at Firstrade. Here's a thread we had on Hasentab's funds that covered buying them.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/7271/emglo-debt-funds-michael-hasenstab/p1
  • I'm wondering if it makes sense to sell PGBAX and put the proceeds toward an income-based balanced fund, such as HBLIX, which does hold foreign bonds and dividend paying stocks. It can go international if needed. Its run by Wellington management, which we all know has a great reputation managing money. I own BERIX already, but the two funds don't appear very similar at all.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi willmatt72,

Here is my thinking. I too own PGBAX and I have available, to me, HBLIX for purchase. I have also looked at this very same thing. But, decided to keep PGBAX. In review of HBLIX against the otrher hybrid growth & income funds that I own, I still kept what I had. I just felt the dividend payout on HBLIX (2.5%) was too low as compared to AMECX which is a little better than 3.3% according to Morningstar.

I have PGBAX tagged as a hybrid income type fund and HBLIX as a hybrid growth & income type fund. HBLIX has a stock/bond allocation of 47/50 while PGBAX allocation is 33/57. In addition, PGBAX pays a dividend of 4.6% vs. 2.5% for HBLIX. I guess you have to decide which you want ... the fund with the greater income or the fund with the greater ytd retrun as PGBAX ytd is about 5% vs. 10.8% for HBLIX. Five percent ytd return for an income type fund is not bad ... especially when it is derived form global income producing assets. If you want to venture into hybrid global growth & income ... look at CAIBX, IGPAX and TIBAX. These are the three funds that I own in this area. I am sure there are other good funds besides these.

No dobut, PGBAX & HBLIX are both good funds.

Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet:

Hi Old_Skeet,

I'm more concerned with total return rather than yield so HBLIX would fit into my plans nicely even with the lower yield. The other issue I have with PGBAX is its positioning if interest rates rise. I think it would be hit harder than HBLIX if rates rise. Just my opinion of course. Of the two, HBLIX has a slightly better SD and Sharpe ratio over a three-year period.

TIBAX also interests me, but I cannot access it through Fidelity without an up front load (4.50%). Bummer. The same goes for CAIBX and IGPAX.