Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buying Stocks at Record Highs: Will You Be Sorry?

edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
Commentary from Jason Zweig of WSJ. He quoted comments from three great investors:
Hedge-fund manager Carl Icahn says he is “very cautious” on U.S. stocks, which “could easily have a big drop” from their new record highs. Ben Inker, a director at asset manager GMO, forecasts that overall, U.S. stocks will suffer losses of 2% annually, counting dividends and inflation, through 2020. Yet billionaire investor extraordinaire Warren Buffett says the U.S. stock market is valued “in a zone of reasonableness.” So who is right?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Not the answer you seek. But, we've moved some major expenses/purchases up a bit. If you're in the distribution phase and have a need for some of that stash, this ain't a bad time to spend a little.

Ah, it must be awful to be famous like each of these guys so that the patronizing public hangs on your every word. Surely, these fellas get dressed the same way we do - one leg at a time - and probably have days when the world looks rosy and days when it looks rotten. I wouldn't put too much stock in their dribble-drabble.
  • In the words of Rosanne Rosannedanna, "It's always something." Sure, some stocks are bubbly and others, not so much. I agree with Hank, turn the volume down or off and do what you need to do. Remember all the gloom and doom at the start of this year? Look where we are now. But more importantly, no one, and I mean no one, knows where we will be tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. Be thoughtful, be prudent and carry on.
  • TedTed
    edited November 2013
    Dear Hank & Mark: If you go to 'Fund Discussions' you read the entire article by Jason Zweig.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited November 2013
    I, for one, was a bit disappointed on Friday, to watch the R2000 rise heftily, but my small-cap fund rose just a penny. MSCFX. Anyhow, its sister, MAPOX is higher than ever. I own more there. (Hybrid, US companies and bonds.) I can't, I simply CAN'T be worried about what uncle Carl or the others may say, day to day. I would have been better off to severely reduce my EM bond exposure long before I did, but a mistake is a mistake--- not the end of the world. And I find I'm in a better place, better situated portfolio-wise, going forward. I will be redistributing profits at year's end or just after the New Year. That's a helluva lot better than suffering LOSSES. Yes, I'll be using some of that profit to buy more US equities. Just a portion. And I'm happy with that. I'm invested in the funds I've chosen, not with uncle Carl or Ben or Warren......Would it have been better if I'd got into the Market many years ago, and hung on? Sure. But I didn't have the money to invest back then. It's like dreaming about getting into Kate Upton, but then the alarm clock wakes you, and you have to get out of bed and do the stuff you gotta do. ;)
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Mark, Hank, Sven, Ted, Max and others,

Stocks have had a good run much better than I first tought they would at the beginning of the year. With this, and just going into retirement, I am glad I took some profit on the way up and have built a sizeable cash position in doing so. Currently, I feel my portfolio is pretty much right sized from an asset allocation stand point at 20% cash, 25% income, 45% equity and 10% alternatives. Plus it has a yield distribution, on amount invested, north of five percent and then throw in some capital gains distributions from some ot the mutual funds and I am up there around six, seven, possibly eight percent this year on the total distribution factor. What a cash cow!

I think stocks are a little pricey at the moment to do any major buying and although I have been selective in what I have bought I have been a net seller thus far this year. I'd rather right size my portfolio in an updraft rather than try to do it in a down draft as many investors are seeking the exits. If it is right sized when the down draft comes one can then better concetrate on select buying opportunities while others are cutting out and selling.

Currently, Morginstar's Market Valuation Graph is showing stocks are currently selling at about a four to five percent premium. I like to buy when stocks are selling at a discount as they were about a year ago (five percent) and then sell some off when they are at a premium. Over the years, I have never made good money when buying at or near the top of a market; but, I certaintly have by buying when they were selling at a good discount and out of favor. Especially by buying the good dividend payers and holding them until they have rebounded and have beocme overbought and priced at premiums.

I have linked the graph for those that are interested. Click on the one year, or greater, time period(s) to view the market's oversold/overbought history.

http://www.morningstar.com/market-valuation/market-fair-value-graph.aspx

Have a grand weekend ... and, I wish all ... "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet
  • edited November 2013
    (Quoting J. Zweig from the article: Are US stocks too rich, now?)
    ..."In fact, whether stocks are overvalued or fairly priced isn’t the question that investors should be asking. Instead, what you need to answer is this: How much can I stand to lose before I will bail out?

Experts can’t tell you that, but history and what’s in your own head can..."
  • So I assume Ben Inker will not invest in US stocks for the next 7 years? He'd be a fool to according to himself.
  • edited November 2013
    From seeking Alpha 9:00 AM
    AGG
    Investor behavior: Same as it ever was
    The financial crisis changed nothing, writes Vanguard's Fran Kinniry: Investors continue to chase returns, and have lately been jettisoning fixed income for stocks. Driven by the 4th greatest bull market on record - a cumulative return of 198% since the bottom - global equity allocation for investors has increased to 57% from 38%, and vs. the 20-year median of 51%.It's probably time for the typical investor (one with an equity-heavy portfolio) to maintain a prudent allocation by directing new cash flows into bonds, while selling stocks - the exact opposite of where money is flowing today."Rebalancing usually seems counterintuitive at the time when it promises to be most effective," says Finniry. "It can be difficult to implement from a behavioral standpoint and requires incredible discipline." With equities partying and the near-universal belief of higher interest rates on the way, who could blame an investor for not wanting to sell stocks and buy bonds."It is very common following significant gains in the equity markets for investors to question the benefits of rebalancing," but it's never "different this time;" instead it's the "same as it ever was."Broad fixed income ETFs: AGG, BOND, BND, BSV, BIV, BLV, SCHZ, LAG, SAGG, ILTB, ISTB, GBF, GVI, MINC, FWDB, GIYBroad equity ETFs: VTI, PRF, SCHB, USMV, VV, SCHX, ITOT, ONEQ, IYY, NYC, JKD, EXT, EQL, FVI, EUSA, EEH, SPXH, TRSK, FSE, FSU, PXLC, FWDD, TOTS, FNDB, ALTL
    Link to full blog/article
    http://vanguardadvisorsblog.com/2013/11/21/same-as-it-ever-was/