Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are Our Names ?

TedTed
edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
Fund Quiz:

I was once the fund manager of a very large and well known mutual fund from 1996-2005. My brother was once an analyst for a sector fund from 1998-2000 tht is red hot today. What are our names ?
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• Art
    edited September 2013
    Rajiv Kaul managed FBIOX from 1998-2000. A blank on his brother? Maybe.
  • Reply to @Art: Sorry ! Next time better luck
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2013
    I'm suspicious you are referencing the Gensler brothers, Rob & Gary. Rob left the Media & Telecom fund at Price in 2005 after a long successful tenure to become head of their Global Stock fund. So - there's a date match of sorts. Brother Gary was an analyst at Goldman Sachs in his early financial career around the time you reference. But, far as I can tell, this was not specifically at a mutual fund. Gary, of course, has written a book scathingly critical of mutual funds and has seen government service in Washington.
  • Yes. Gensler brothers has to be it.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Sorry! Better luck next time.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Rupert and Charles Johnson.

FBDIX and ?

My last guess.
  • Reply to @Art: Sorry ! Better luck next time.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I would have said brothers at Fido and TRP, but the latter was busy managing funds (not serving as analyst) 1998-2000. And the fund he managed during those years isn't even in the top quarter of its sector for the past year - warm, but not exactly hot. The fund he managed in 1997 - 2000 is indeed white hot, but those are the wrong years.

So I may be off track. Will keep pondering.

• TedTed
    edited September 2013
    Reply to @msf: Your warm ! Fido and TRP,
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The Stansky brothers??
  • Ooooo ... Rex and Rob Ryan! Didn't they manage money with their dad, Buddy?
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Failing that, those dates do match the years Harry Lange ran Fido Cap App, just before taking the dive at Magellan. Hmmmm...
  • Art
    edited September 2013
    Bob and Brian Stansky.

Magellan Fund FMAGX and T.R. Price PRMTX.

Had to keep looking. This is it.
  • Reply to @Art: Thanks Art, couldn't think of their first names.
  • Reply to @Art: 1997-2000 PRMTX----1998-2000 PRHSX.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: If you continue to make light of serious mutual fund discussion, you will be banned from MFO.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Brian was the manager (not analyst AFAIK) for Health Sciences from 1998 to 2000. The fund's five year record didn't make it into the the top two deciles (top quintile); the fund's one year record isn't in the top three deciles (barely made top 1/3). On at least a relative basis, I wouldn't call that a red hot fund. YMMV.

Another of his former charges, TRP Media & Telecom (PRMTX) is top 1 percentile for past 1, 3, 5, and 10 years. Now that is what one might call a red hot fund. Today. Yesterday. Yesteryear.
  • Reply to @msf: This sounds to me like sour grapes ! The question was 1998-2000, not 1997.
    Regards,
    Ted