Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Bridgeway Too Far

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
I have been with Bridgeway through thick and thin. I put in sell orders for BRLGX, BRAGX, BRSGX and BRSVX. I'm keeping my BRBPX since I don't have significant gains to harvest. I also own BRLVX which is now institutional version of BWLIX. I'm contemplating selling it as well while i will not be able to get back in - will have to buy BWLIX.

So I plan to wait a while and start DCAing back in. Maybe I'll time this right. When vs What:-)

Good Luck to Me.

Comments

• Hi VF,
    I love Bridgeway, and have been with them since the days when John Montgomery answered his own phone (on a Sat morning no less). I'm a lot less flexible than you, however, darn it. I hold BRUSX which is hard-closed, and so do my kids. Can't do the sell-buy return trips with that baby. All I can do is look at the '02 '03 returns and smile, hoping for a repeat.
    Good luck with your holdings
    best, hawk
  • Yup. If I find out any reason Montgomery is not the real thing, I'll be absolutely shattered. I think I will stop investing in mutual funds period. Montgomery has helped me keep my sanity in terms of investing.

I've decide to keep BRLVX. The ER difference with BWLIX is simply too much.
  • I also hold BRUSX and BRAGX from the reorganization of the micro-cap limted fund and re-opening, respectively. Continue to put money into BRUSX monthly since I hold it with Bridgeway.
  • Reply to @hawkmountain:

Have you been tempted to open an account with Bridgeway to increase your BRUSX holdings? Initially, I purchased BRMCX shares in taxable brokerage account when BRMCX reopened; I purchased some additional BRMCX taxable account shares with Bridgeway once I learned of the reorganization with BRUSX. I know when I last spoke with a CSR during the BRUSX/BRMCX reorganization, she mentioned that I could open an account with Bridgeway as long as I demonstrated BRUSX ownership provided there was no "hard" close.
  • I actually am a little miffed with Bridgeway for opening "Omni" small cap et. al. Complicating my life. Anyone owns any "omni" "cap" funds?
  • I used to own BRAIX in large amount, BRSVX and BRSIX as well in smaller amounts. In 2008, BRAIX went down badly and I made my biggest bet on BRAIX during the 2008 meltdown expecting a sharp rise on post meltdown. Got very disappointed on the post 2008 meltdown results, It went up very tamely.

Since then moved the money out of Bridgeway in early 2010.

• since I don't have significant gains to harvest
    VintageFreak,

Please help me out with this terminology as I do not understand it. I thought the idea was to harvest a loss, not a gain.

Mona
  • Reply to @VintageFreak:

I found out that there are a limited number of brokerages that sell Omni funds. For example Wells Fargo Advisors does not, but TDA, and some others do sell it (I believe there are 6 or 7 total). Not willing to pay for broker just to have Omni fund.
  • Sorry Mona:-) I was being sarcastic and people are used to it. I have a lot of losses on the books. This is a way for me to book some against to offset against those losses so I don't have to carry them over for the tax year.

I've been selling funds where I have had substantial gains and not particularly enamored with, while in the case of Bridgeway I will be buying them back.
  • Reply to @CaryRaleigh: I can imagine. That's quite problematic especially if you haven't held the funds on their way up for long. In the case for Bridgeway I had held them for loooooong time, so I weathered the 2008 storm, but made a mental note to myself. How much so ever I like a fund, never worry about taking money off the table.