Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SunAmerica Wins Once-a-Year Picks: Riskless Return

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
The below linked article, while somewhat dated, is written on SunAmerica's Focused Dividend Strategy Fund (FDSAX) which is one of six funds that I own in my domestic growth & income sleeve of my portfolio. I found the article to be an interesting read. Perhaps you will too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-26/sunamerica-wins-with-once-a-year-picks-riskless-return.html

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=FDSAX&region=USA

Good Investing,
Skeeter

Comments

• Skeeter, I'm curious to know whether you found a way to buy this fund without paying the front load.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @AMatMFO:

Hi AMatMFO, I don't know how a retail investor can buy this fund and avoid the sales load. However, the fund is available in a C share class (FDSTX) if you wish to stay away from a up fornt sales load found with the A shares.

Skeeter
  • The fund was the pick for "Riskless Return" selection but it has lost 1.93% today; more than the market. Obviously not so riskless after all!
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Investor:

I compute FDSAX to be currently, as I write, 2.6% off its recent high while a S&P 500 Index fund being off 2.7%. Actually, it was the worst performing fund in its sleeve within the growth & income area of my portfolio today. Indeed, from the article, one would think it would be fairing better in this recent dip. Should the dip continue and become a down draft (at least five percent or more) I'll add to my position. It's a good fund and I like its simple stock selection strategies which have, thus far, been most effective this year. It sould be reconfiguring its stock positoning come November and December. In this way, it should be good to go come the traditional and anticipated fall stock market rally that historically continues into early spring.

Year-to-date FDSAX is up 30.77% while its bogey (a S&P 500 Index Fund) is up 17.55%.